Best 0/1st Level Adventure Combo to kick off a campaign

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Outsider
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Best 0/1st Level Adventure Combo to kick off a campaign

Post by Outsider »

New to DCC, but not RPGs. Looking for local players and will most likely end up with a mixed group of experienced and new participants (including my two teenagers).

What are the pros and cons of different funnel and 1st level adventures to get us started?

DCC67 Sailors on the Starless Sea and DCC68 People of the Pit?
DCC86 Hole in the Sky and DCC81 The One Who Watches From Below?

I also know DCC89 Chaos Rising is out soon and would consider some of the adventures in there. I prefer to stick with official products from Goodman Games for now.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: Best 0/1st Level Adventure Combo to kick off a campaign

Post by Ravenheart87 »

My favorite comboes are Sailors on the Starless Sea followed by Doom of the Savage Kings, and The Meat Grinder followed by The Meat Grinder Too. People of the Pit and Frozen in Time are amazing first level adventures too.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Outsider
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Outsider »

Thanks RH.

For whatever reason, Doom of the Savage Kings was off my radar. I''ll look into it.

From the early adventures, do more people prefer Doom of the Savage Kings or The People of the Pit?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Outsider wrote:do more people prefer Doom of the Savage Kings or The People of the Pit?
Doom of the Savage Kings gets a LOT of enthusiastic talk. Just sayin'...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Doom is one of the few sandboxy DCC RPG adventures. It's pretty open ended with a lot of different ways to solve the main conflict. I've had a party who beat the "boss" early in the adventure, and only visited the dungeon later for some loot - then most of them died there. Another group freed Hirot from the evil and started a rebellion against the jarl, then became the leaders. Hirot is also a good HQ for wilderness adventures.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
EnochSeven
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by EnochSeven »

Ravenheart87 wrote:Doom is one of the few sandboxy DCC RPG adventures. .
Yes it is! My group really enjoyed Doom, which I ran after the funnel Portal Under the Stars.

Doom does offer opportunity to play out things differently in the village. It's so fun to run, easy to run, but has a nice variety for things within the interesting town.
xandarr2000
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Black & Read or Atomic Goblin

Post by xandarr2000 »

I am starting them in Nebin Pendlebrook's Perilous Pantry, and then when they leave Bitterweed Barrows at the end of that module their next stop will be Hirot, on their way to explore the world I figure I can make a loose sort of game world, with loose story tying together different adventures like a leiber tale.
Mr. Cricket
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Borderlands

Post by Mr. Cricket »

Thanks to the TC for the topic and to the rest of you for the suggestions - I had the very same question! Hope to run a game at the local store for a bunch of strangers in 3 weeks, so we'll see what happens.
Relentless
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: BAM

Post by Relentless »

I just ran Sailors of the Starless Sea and with the way it ended with my group blacking out, I'm going to have the party waking up in DCC #80 Intrigue at the Courts of Chaos!

I hope to eventually get them to Perils on the Purple Planet through their shenanigans in the Court..if not then perhaps throw another curveball their way.
takeonrules
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Better World Books - Goshen

Post by takeonrules »

@xandarr2000 - I too started with Nebin Pendlebrook's Perilous Pantry and moved right into Doom of Savage Kings.

For details https://takeonrules.com/category/role-p ... ld-gaming/

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”