Sailors of Starless Sea Player Handouts

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Blutimate
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Sailors of Starless Sea Player Handouts

Post by Blutimate »

Hey all,

<Spoilers to Sailors may be in this post! You have been warned>

I started creating some player handouts for my con adventure in the City of Loneliness. I've written on small pieces of paper that I've aged and then rolled up into little scrolls for some of the scrolls that the players receive from an NPC. I also have a white crayon I'm giving them for some chalk lines that they have to draw for a spell. I did this not just for the flavor but to physically track who has what (could be important).

I also created several maps and drawings of monsters that I included to speed up some explanations.

I am also running Sailors at the convention. I've run the adventure 3 times now and I believe I should map out several rooms and create more player handouts to speed things up. Specifically, the courtyard (every group did not understand what the well was and what was beside it, so they missed tools available to them that from my reading should have been readily apparent) - the burnt temple (every group had a million questions about distances, the frog fountain, location of skeletons, and the like) - and the room with the pool(where the uniforms are). I may also do the tomb of the Chaos Lord, though none of my player groups found it.

I'd also like to handout some cool pieces of flavor from the adventure that the group could actually hold. I was thinking about cutting up a white t and folding it into "robes" for the pool room to keep track of who is disguised.

What do you all think? Did you have areas where a visual depiction or other player aids could come into play in this adventure? Any other ideas? I have a few weeks to prepare.

David Rose
Buttmonkey
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Sailors of Starless Sea Player Handouts

Post by Buttmonkey »

I like the idea of having the players wear white t-shirts so you can tell who is disguised in the robes. I imagine some players might be a little skeeved out by the prospect of wearing used clothes that someone else has worn. You should probably tell people you bought them new for this purpose and just washed them. Get XL t-shirts to be sure they will fit most players.
Blutimate
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Sailors of Starless Sea Player Handouts

Post by Blutimate »

That wasn't what I had in mind. I was thinking about giving them "mini-robes" (or pieces of cloth the size of a hand towel), but I like the idea of full size robes better. That would definitely make for good pictures.

Anyone else have suggestions?

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”