Forlorn North inspirational reading list?

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Miker601
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Modern Myths

Forlorn North inspirational reading list?

Post by Miker601 »

I like how Michael Curtis included his inspirational reading (and viewing) list for the Shudder Mountain campaign setting.
Wondering if he, or others, could provide a similar list for the Forlorn North campaign setting from the Frozen in Time module.

From Appendix N itself I think of Burrough's Pellucidar series.
Outside Gygax's cited list I think of novels like Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean Auel and Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World and movies like Quest for Fire and Joe Kubert's Tor comic series.

But those works touch more on the prehistorical setting of the Forlorn North. The module itself includes science fantasy aspects which would be fun to continue into a longer Forlorn North campaign. What other inspirational reading/viewing can be cited for the interaction of super-science with prehistoric settings?
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Re: Forlorn North inspirational reading list?

Post by Rick »

Miker601 wrote:What other inspirational reading/viewing can be cited for the interaction of super-science with prehistoric settings?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

Not really a (completely) serious suggestion, but dinosaurs - check. Lasers, robots - check, check.
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Forlorn North inspirational reading list?

Post by michaelcurtis »

Miker601 wrote:I like how Michael Curtis included his inspirational reading (and viewing) list for the Shudder Mountain campaign setting.
Wondering if he, or others, could provide a similar list for the Forlorn North campaign setting from the Frozen in Time module.

From Appendix N itself I think of Burrough's Pellucidar series.
Outside Gygax's cited list I think of novels like Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean Auel and Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World and movies like Quest for Fire and Joe Kubert's Tor comic series.

But those works touch more on the prehistorical setting of the Forlorn North. The module itself includes science fantasy aspects which would be fun to continue into a longer Forlorn North campaign. What other inspirational reading/viewing can be cited for the interaction of super-science with prehistoric settings?
Truth be told, there was no inspirational reading list for "Frozen in Time." Not like there was for the Shudder Mountains setting which entailed a lot of reading and research to make sure I hit all the tonal notes properly. The Forlorn North came from the accumulated flotsam and jetsam of reading, movie-watching, day-dreaming, and other pursuits. I simply thought "cavemen meet time travelers" (perhaps influenced by the "caveman vs. astronaut" argument) and threw in everything that seemed to fit. The Forlorn North grew from what was included in the adventure (need a place for walrus people to live and what's the tundra without some mammoths).
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”