DCC Module Scaling

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

DCC Module Scaling

Post by RevTurkey »

Hi all, I am considering running all the DCC modules in the near future (after my official dice arrive) and I am really looking forward to it. The only real issue I have ever had with the game is I don't have many players to work with. I have either two or three players depending on timing but it is consistent...two regularly or three regularly. If I want to have three it will be a long time before I get to run this game as we have loads of other systems with priority. So...I would like to go with the two player group. Now...most these modules are set up for about 6-10 player characters so normally about 8 characters seems decent. How about if I were to just say two characters per player giving a party of four and then just halve the number of opponents? How about trap difficulty and boss encounter type stuff? Anybody any experience with doing this for this system and can offer any pointers please?
Playing since about 1980
Latest games: DCC RPG of course!
Quote I like: "I am on a computer therfore I am" (Alan Plater)
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: DCC Module Scaling

Post by Raven_Crowking »

You can let the players run 2 characters each, or give them some form of limited resource that beefs them up, or let the PCs be 1 level higher than recommended, or let them have hirelings to help, or let them worry about how to succeed with fewer PCs.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

Hi thanks. Yes I was planning on giving them two each which would give us four pcs.

I think maybe boosting the level might be the easiest answer. You think a group of four at one level higher will be about right for the modules? I have ran a few games of this but I have nothing like your experience with this game. Any advice appreciated, ta :)
Playing since about 1980
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

It depends. Are you planning on using the GG modules only, or also 3pp?

You can start with a funnel, and let them each start with 8 pcs. Make sure there is some chance to get new PCs before the conclusion.

Let them keep whoever survives, and run them through the next adventure, and the next, winnowing the numbers down as you go.

By that time, it should be easy to run them through modules 1 level below their actual level.

Another way to go, especially if only running the GG modules, is run Sailors on the Starless Sea, and then run Frozen in Time as funnels. The survivors of both groups merge, and run through ALL the 1st level modules. By the time they are done, they should be 3rd level (the survivors, anyway), and more than ready to go through ALL the 2nd level modules. Dead characters are not replaced, so the number in the company gets smaller as you go.

I happen to think that there are a LOT of good 3pp adventures for DCC as well, and you may wish to consider some of these.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

Thanks, some good ideas there :)

I have collected all the GG DCCRPG modules (bar the more obscure ones). So I have just over 20 of them and will have Purple Planet and Chained Coffin to go at as well...at least.

I have a couple of 3PP adventures too and yes some good stuff available but this time around I just want to stick to the GG ones as a 'thing'... The others saved for a rainy day.

I think the couple of merged funnels is a nice idea. Last time around we loved the funnel so my players would enjoy more than one for sure. I think I might try that approach, thanks :)
Playing since about 1980
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Well, every kind word anyone has ever said about the GG modules is true, so you should be in for a world of fun.

Recommendation: Your PCs are going to want stuff. Make sure that you use the modules to offer them ways to get it. For example, when the wizard needs to track down a spell, make it a reason to undertake a future (and not necessarily a next-in-line) adventure.

If you do not have the 2012 Free RPG Day module from GG, you should get it. It has The Jeweller Who Dealt in Stardust by Harley Stroh and The Undulating Corruption by Michael Curtis, both of which you will find worth owning. I believe that they are both reprinted in the 2013 GG GenCon Program Guide.
SoBH pbp:

RevTurkey
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by RevTurkey »

Yes I bought those two on pdf they are good little scenarios and I was planning on squeezing them in to the equation as well.

I already ran some of the modules in the earlier days of the system. We did Sailors, People, Emerald, 13th, Carnifex and Black Gate. We enjoyed them all except Carnifex which my group didn't care for. I am looking forward to running the stack of adventures I bought. I am running a sandbox of my own devising for 5th Ed at the moment and it will be a refreshing change to go back to modules after that. I considered DCC for that as well but the lure of trying out a new edition was too great. Actually now wish I was using DCC for it too but not to worry :)
Playing since about 1980
cjoepar
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by cjoepar »

You might also augment the group by adding in an NPC after the party reaches first level. You can choose a class that is not yet represented, so that the party has a little more diversity and one more member. I think that increasing the party size from 4 to 5 will have a significant decrease in the likelihood of a TPK.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Another thing:

My own half-level rules are designed to prevent PCs with two classes from being too powerful, but you could allow multi-classing without any drawback to make the PCs a little tougher, and to fill the class roles for particular adventures.
SoBH pbp:

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”