sellswords of punjar

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

sellswords of punjar

Post by catseye yellow »

i vote for sellswords as the next 'old' module to get daniel bishop re-paint job! let's make it next .5 adventure.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: sellswords of punjar

Post by GnomeBoy »

Maybe all three 4th Edition Punjar modules could be updated as part of the Punjar Boxed Set... :mrgreen:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
fym66
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by fym66 »

GnomeBoy wrote:Maybe all three 4th Edition Punjar modules could be updated as part of the Punjar Boxed Set... :mrgreen:
This....This I like....
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Doug Kovacs »

Though it seems like an easy answer because the word "Punjar" is in there, I unfortunately do not see the 4E stuff being the best Punjar can be ...at all.

Lots of compromises were made for an inferior game system. Sorry, I wouldn't champion this cause. It can be done so much better.
DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
http://dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
http://dougkovacs.com/dkblog/
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I do not wish to disagree with the eminent Mr. Kovacs, but while I agree completely that 4e is a substandard system, my experience converting Mr. Stroh's 4e work suggests to me that there is much to be salvaged from the materials produced for it.

IF there was going to be a Punjar boxed set, AND I was offered the chance to convert older modules for it, I would be happy to do so. However, I would prefer to do so in the context of the Jeweller Who Dealt in Stardust version of Punjar - a more Appendix N, DCC version of the city. Ideally, the basic revision would be done, and then the earlier modules would be restructured to follow the DCC version of Punjar.

Because compromises were made to fit 4e, that doesn't mean that the modules cannot be converted into a better system. :D
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

Doug Kovacs wrote:Though it seems like an easy answer because the word "Punjar" is in there, I unfortunately do not see the 4E stuff being the best Punjar can be ...at all.

Lots of compromises were made for an inferior game system. Sorry, I wouldn't champion this cause. It can be done so much better.

i believed so too, till i bought dragora's dungeon. while sellswords certainly would not be the best punjar adventure it could still be great little adventure given mr. bishop's intuitive understanding of dcc.

just to add that i haven't read other two 4e punjar adventures
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I'd suppose it's only the eternal questions of time and money that would ultimately determine if the 4e Punjar could be un-compromise-ified.

I've only run Sellswords (and re-built as basically 3.5e, not 4e), and given that that it is what sold me on Punjar, I can only imagine what an uncompromised version would be like... *imagines*

If those in the know feel strongly that the future of Punjar is brighter than anything so far, I'll take them at their word (and make my own conversion as needed). But if the basic premise of those adventures was not found lacking, and the time and money questions were minimal, I'd love to see them DCC omnibus-ized, or re-presented somehow...

*rests italicizing fingers*
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

catseye yellow wrote:
Doug Kovacs wrote:Though it seems like an easy answer because the word "Punjar" is in there, I unfortunately do not see the 4E stuff being the best Punjar can be ...at all.

i believed so too, till i bought dragora's dungeon. while sellswords certainly would not be the best punjar adventure it could still be great little adventure given mr. bishop's intuitive understanding of dcc.

just to add that i haven't read other two 4e punjar adventures
Just wanted to say, Thanks! catseye, for the vote of confidence & the kind words.

:D
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Raven_Crowking wrote:...there is much to be salvaged from the materials produced for it.
Agreed. I bought the Punjar material in spite of the system, not because of it, and I think there are a lot of good ideas which could be restructured into something more useful to me. (I could go for either DCC or 5E, depending upon which system converts best.)
Raven_Crowking wrote:IF there was going to be a Punjar boxed set, AND I was offered the chance to convert older modules for it, I would be happy to do so. However, I would prefer to do so in the context of the Jeweller Who Dealt in Stardust version of Punjar - a more Appendix N, DCC version of the city. Ideally, the basic revision would be done, and then the earlier modules would be restructured to follow the DCC version of Punjar.
I'm not familiar with the "Jeweller Who Dealt in Stardust" but I'm all in favor of a "more Appendix N" version if such is out there. I think of Punjar a lot in the same way that I think of Lankhmar, which is about as Appendix N as it gets.
Raven_Crowking wrote:Because compromises were made to fit 4e, that doesn't mean that the modules cannot be converted into a better system. :D
+1 to this. The Goodman product line has always had a lot of quality regardless of system, so take the best parts and convert into a better rules set and it can only make them better! 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

finarvyn wrote:I'm not familiar with the "Jeweller Who Dealt in Stardust"
Harley's contribution to the 2012 Free RPG Day giveaway. I got to playtest it previously w/ Harley at GaryCon & ran it myself on Free RPG Day. Easily one of my favorites.
http://www.goodman-games.com/FRPGD12preview.html
http://www.rpgnow.com/product/103722/DC ... G-Day-2012
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Sellswords is a good adventure.

I took my pals through it and converted it to Castles & Crusades. I even posted our exploits here on the boards. I was very pleased to have DMed this module. I think it would lend itself to DCC-RPG as well. :)
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

GnomeBoy wrote:I'd suppose it's only the eternal questions of time and money that would ultimately determine if the 4e Punjar could be un-compromise-ified.
I'd be highly favorably inclined to lend my money to a conversion/re-write of the Punjar material. I may not have much in the way of bank account, but whenever I hear that Harley and his writing is involved, I somehow manage to nip & tuck at my expenses to afford his products. This would be no different.

Daniel Crowking has thus far done a better-than-reasonable series of conversions from previous editions to DCCRPG. If the Goodman Gods deem him worthy of the task, please allow me to thrust my digital money in their faces and request they take it already!

Punjar Omnibus ahoy!

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”