RPG Overview #5 The Portal Under the Stars for DCC RPG

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

SavageGM
Far-Sighted Wanderer

RPG Overview #5 The Portal Under the Stars for DCC RPG

Post by SavageGM »

Judge only overview for The Portal Under the Stars adventure. Tips for new judges when running this adventure.

http://youtu.be/4IbSh-EpXGU
DM Marcus
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: RPG Overview #5 The Portal Under the Stars for DCC RPG

Post by DM Marcus »

I like this. I think it is helpful for judges to anticipate potential player actions and to just get an overview of an adventure.

********* spoilers- judges only ************

I have run Portal three times and have found the party seems to always split up in the flame-statue room. Of course, I neither encouraged or discouraged this, and it didn't seem to matter much because they had to reunite to venture deeper into the story/dungeon through the pool room.

But I do wonder if that is sort of a by-product of this being a funnel and the players having multiple characters. If you had a party of four or five and each player controlled only one character, would they be more inclined to stick together?

Anyway, I digress. Good job.
SavageGM
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by SavageGM »

Thanks a lot DM Marcus for watching the video!

I believe a smaller amount of player characters would stay together in that room. I've played it with a bit less characters several times and they stuck together. It's a real challenge for the players that room I feel. It makes them make a choice with possibly deadly results.
DM Marcus
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DM Marcus »

This has been hashed and rehashed I'm sure, but the funnel experience is like the crazy opening set-piece in a movie.... Screaming, explosions, mayhem, carnage, laughs.... And then the story starts.

Once the players have had a chance to get attached to their characters, they settle in and play a more thoughtful and guarded character. In the funnel, everyone is a red shirt.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

This was a good video & I appreciate you putting it together.

I agree that The Portal Under the Stars is a grand way to introduce folks into DCC-RPG.

I split my party when I was a player in the fire shooting statue and we got a lot of dead PCs! :lol:
SavageGM
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by SavageGM »

Thanks Jediore!
B_Canote
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Valhalla's Gate

Post by B_Canote »

Many thanks for the video. I am preparing to run The Portal Under the Stars tonight. Not only is the first time running the module, but the first time I have actually GMed a game since the early 90s (jobs, marriage, kids happened). I have played in the module, so I somewhat know what to expect. Of course things are always different when you are on the other side of the table, and the video gave me an idea of what to expect.

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”