Any guidelines...official or otherwise..for small parties?

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

jeffb
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Any guidelines...official or otherwise..for small parties?

Post by jeffb »

I have a Kids group (13/14 yo) I have been running games for the past 2 years, and I have decided to try DCCRPG this time around.

The kids REALLY hate running more than 1 character each ..tried that in S&W. I will start them off at level.1.

So my question is, any guidelines on using a pre-pub DCC module for 1/2 the recco # of PCs? I would like to pick up a couple mods. We are playing again a week from today.
"Maybe I'm just getting too old to want to have to deal with a heap o' rules and the steaming heap o' rules lawyers who go with them." Gary Gygax
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Any guidelines...official or otherwise..for small partie

Post by IronWolf »

My first recommendation would be to still start with a 0-level. They are great fun and in my opinion help really get a DCC RPG game started off right and give players the sense of feel of a DCC RPG game. Easier to lose a 0-level character! I say this as a person that tends to not like playing more than one character as a player either. The mechanics of a 0-level character are pretty easy and you don't run into the problems of multiple characters per player you might at higher levels.

But, you know your players better than me, so make the choice that is right for your group. Just noting that 0-level funnel feels different than running multiple characters at 1st level or higher.

As for guidelines of running for smaller parties. As the judge you have the power to adjust encounters as need be during the course of the adventure. If the encounter calls for 5 enemy combatants, shrink it down to 3. Still too tough? Lower the number of hit points on the fly. Drop the AC by 1 or 2. Make the saves either easier to resist for the side of the party or harder to resist for the enemy. Those tips alone should get you through most encounters.

If the enemy uses things like paralyzation or other attacks that essentially takes the character out of the fight, be wary of those. I have seen those types of special abilities turn the fight against a normal sized party quite quickly. They can be even more devastating against small parties.

I run for small groups occasionally and I do things as noted above on the fly to help keep the power level fun for a smaller group. It has always worked well in the past.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

You could also consider making up the 'missing' number of party members with hirelings. The players as a group could control them, if they liked. Not so much extra characters to run, but a few extra attacks and skill checks to make.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
IronWolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by IronWolf »

Oh yeah, hirelings are always a great option as well. My smaller groups in S&W games always take a few along.
jeffb
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by jeffb »

Hey folks..thanks for the feedback. Been wingin' it for 35 years , guess I will continue to do so! :mrgreen:
"Maybe I'm just getting too old to want to have to deal with a heap o' rules and the steaming heap o' rules lawyers who go with them." Gary Gygax

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”