A DCC "modules in order" campaign

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

A DCC "modules in order" campaign

Post by finarvyn »

This is a list of modules sorted by recommended character level, in case a GM wanted to run a campaign “in order” of difficulty. I’m going to focus on the DCC RPG adventures put out through Goodman Games rather than the Third-party adventures, although if I get time I may create a similar list for 3PP as well.

Level 0:
Sailors of the Starless Sea (DCC #67)

Level 0-1:
Portal Under the Stars (2011 “Free RPG Day” Adventure)

Level 1:
Doom of the Savage Kings (Special Edition rulebook module)
The People of the Pit (DCC #68)
* The Imperishable Sorceress. (2013 "Free RPG Day" adventure)
* Frozen in Time (DCC #79)

Level 2:
The Emerald Enchanter (DCC #69)
The Balance Blade (DCC #71)
* Fate’s Fell Hand (DCC #78)

Level 3:
The Jeweler That Dealt in Stardust (2012 “Free RPG Day” Adventure)
Jewels of the Carnifex (DCC #70)
The Sea Queen Escapes (DCC #75)
* The Croaking Fane (DCC #77)

Level 4:
The 13th Skull (DCC #71)
Emirikol Was Framed! (DCC #73)
Blades Against Death (DCC #74)

Level 5:
The Infernal Crucible of Sezrekan the Mad (2011 “Free RPG Day” Adventure)
The Undulating Corruption (2012 “Free RPG Day” Adventure)
Beyond the Black Gate (DCC #72)

Level 8:
* Colossus Arise (DCC #76)

DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: A DCC "modules in order" campaign

Post by Raven_Crowking »

You dropped The Imperishable Sorceress. (Level 1, 2013 Free RPG Day adventure)
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Nice catch. Updated. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
Galadrin
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Galadrin »

There's also Doom of the Savage Kings, a Lvl 1 adventure. Nice list... I've been really scratching my head on how they could link together though. They all seem to have really different opponents.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Galadrin wrote:I've been really scratching my head on how they could link together though. They all seem to have really different opponents.
Agreed. I think that such a campaign would have to be more "episodic" with the same characters in a new place each time, sort of like old Star Trek episodes.

On the other hand, a lot of Appendix N literature takes a similar apporach. Robert E Howard never really spent much time worrying about how Conan got from adventure to adventure, either. :wink:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
themightyeroc
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by themightyeroc »

finarvyn wrote:
Galadrin wrote:I've been really scratching my head on how they could link together though. They all seem to have really different opponents.
Agreed. I think that such a campaign would have to be more "episodic" with the same characters in a new place each time, sort of like old Star Trek episodes.

On the other hand, a lot of Appendix N literature takes a similar apporach. Robert E Howard never really spent much time worrying about how Conan got from adventure to adventure, either. :wink:

My entire campaign so far has been DCC modules strung together, besides the few sessions in Tegel Manor. I started with Sailors on the Starless Sea, then Portal under the Stars, People of the Pit, some Tegel Manor, Emerald Enchanter, tiny bit of home made stuff and now we are on the Sea Queen Escapes.
A little set dressing to click it together, but really not very much. Next on the list with any survivors are Dealer Who dealt in Stardust and Jewels of the Carnifex. Both of these will take place in the City State of the Invincible Overlord.
Ah well, who wants to live forever? DIE!
worldoferoc.blogspot.com
Thorynn
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Thorynn »

I don't want to get spoiler-y on this thread, but wouldn't the balance blade be problematic for a campaign? AWESOME one-shot, but I wouldn't recommend it for a campaign. If you have to ask why, you haven't read it...
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I plan on using it in a regular campaign.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

It exists in my campaign, and I've seen no problems --

Keep in mind that the Judge is the arbiter of balance, not the players, not random stuff floating around in the campaign world.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
teknologik
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by teknologik »

This is kind of what I wanted to do.. the only issue I see is I was looking at the PDF previews online and it mentions that most adventures are for like 6-10 people or something.

I'll only have 3-4 players. Is it worth it to kind of run it with npcs helping them? Is it possible to scale it down accurately?

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”