Advice on DCC Campaign - 1st to 2nd level, with Lizard-men

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Exedor
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Advice on DCC Campaign - 1st to 2nd level, with Lizard-men

Post by Exedor »

I have run a funnel and now have 3 players excited about DCC. The party contains: a bigoted Crawl! Paladin who dislikes all monstrous humanoids; a curious wizard; and a lucky dwarf. There are other "also-rans" who made it through the funnel who might step in, but each player has got the one core character they are into.

I've got them set up in Gnatdamp, the town from Gygax Magazine #1, and D&D 3.5 deities are the pantheon. Their goal right now is fame, glory, riches, and to expand the writ of the local baron. My thinking is that deep in the swamp there is a tribe of lizard-men who have abandoned their worship of Semuyana and have been serving everyone's favorite demonic patron Bobugbubilz. These lizard-men have opened a portal to a demiplane that is in turn gushing out a river of swamp filth, expanding the swamp and inundating adjacent (fey) lands.

I am looking for recommendations for adventures, GG or other, that I can use as inspiration to fill out this concept. I am a fan of using published adventures for inspiration and adapting them to fit my story arc. I ran an amazing campaign that started out as "Into the Wilds" and this is what turned me on to the high quality of GG content and ultimately DCC RPG. Over time that "Into the Wilds" inspired dungeon crawl diverged from the published adventure; I riffed a much longer campaign off it that got the party to 6th level (D&D 3.5). So I am thinking I can repeat the feat with some advice about where to start. The goal would be for this lizard-man plot line to take the party to 2nd level, after which they will move to another area.

So, does anyone have some advice about where I might draw inspiration?
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Advice on DCC Campaign - 1st to 2nd level, with Lizard-m

Post by michaelcurtis »

If they're still kicking around the swamp at Level 3, it should be a cinch to throw The Croaking Fane into the mix. It should fit in fine with Gnatdamp and you can start laying the seeds for it now. Rumors of strange doings out where the Froggish Folk dwell and the sinister residents of the village who travel that way.
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

I know I am probably CFB (Chief Fan Boy) by now, but I highly recommend the Adventure Location (AL) series by purple duck games. The encounters are unique and the plot hooks are evocative. It's the sort of material that is dynamic and repeatable, it inspires other ideas to stitch them together. I also highly recommend the Lamentations of the Flame Princess products. They aren't DCC RPG, but there are some really fun ideas to work with. Finally, don't miss out on the official goodman modules, there are some really great ones.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

All of Purple Sorcerer's modules (3PP DCC) take place in a swamp -- should be easily adaptable for your needs.

http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=4469
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

I've played Tomb of the Lizard King way back when (AD&D level 5-7 adventure - more level 7 than 5 I'd say...) In case your adventuring goes all the way there. 7th level AD&D might be half that much DCC.

Cool adventure, full of lizard men, among other baddies.

I've googled it and even found it on the net, but I won't post its URL because I'm unsure that it's legit to share it with respect to copyright issues.

But here's the wikipedia entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomb_of_the_Lizard_King
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Exedor
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Exedor »

Thanks all for the recommendations! Lots of reading to do now...

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”