Blades Against Death - It Has Arrived!

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Colin

Blades Against Death - It Has Arrived!

Post by Colin »

Behold its splendour, straight from the UK!

Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Blades Against Death - It Has Arrived!

Post by Pesky »

Oh, color me envious green! It hasn't shown up at RPGNow yet...
Terry Olson
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Wow. My game store is ususally pretty fast, but I haven't gotten that one yet, either. :o
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Colin

Post by Colin »

The tarot card handouts are beautiful. :)

Colin
sniderman
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by sniderman »

Where is this available? Haven't found it at the usual places.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Colin wrote:The tarot card handouts are beautiful. :)

Colin
Doug did a *wonderful* job with the handouts.

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Colin

Post by Colin »

I got it direct from GG; so, it was actually sent to me a week or so before it arrived in the mail, winging its way over The Pond. :)

Colin
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Doug Kovacs »

I had to look and see if they were actually any good.....

Chuck Plimpton Lives!
Attachments
Thefool_DEATH.jpg
Thefool_DEATH.jpg (132.81 KiB) Viewed 33551 times
DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
http://dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
http://dougkovacs.com/dkblog/
Primus
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Primus »

Wow! +1
THE ONE AND THE PRIME....NEVER FORGOTTEN
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Much envy. My game store guys tell me it's not out yet. I explained that you had posted a picture online and they had no answer for me other than to assure that I was on their list and they'd set one aside for me when it arrived.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
losloris
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: trig

Post by losloris »

Currently checking BAD out as a potential direction. As always, i think DCC does an excellent effort with eye candy. One thing, though, the image of inside the moon temple is super cool (i like the guard with the sword coming at you) but the dimensions are off.

Coming down the shaft, 1-5A, it says the shaft is 40' and then another 20' to the platform. The eye candy makes the inner ceiling look to be 30-35'. Or,the guards around the edge are really short. Cool shot, tho.

Losloris
losloris
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by losloris »

I'm thinking this is a really neat adventure. I appreciate the full story write up, back drop so that it can fit in as is with the DCC campaign world.

As it is, I am going to break it into three individual pieces, see the seer here, go over there to the temple to get the special undead magic sword (again, cool set up in the temple with three options to get in), and then off to somewhere else to access another portal to the undead.

The heavy meat and potatoes of our adventure world involved the Egg of the Phoenix with one we called Cardinal McKrackin. He helped us, then we came across his skull enroute to a demi plane, then we traveled with the skull for a while since it turned out that he had been assassinated. We lost his head (and many other really cool things) in the bowls of the Vault of the Dragon Kings.

I mention all of this for two reasons. The first is the seer for BAD mentions the Crow Queen which fits in well with our current efforts that are heading towards DC 5. And, outside the box reading reminded me of the idea of having a reoccurring NPC as a worthwhile thing to be doing.

So, I'm thinking I should be planting some seeds for all of this to bear fruit.

Losloris
losloris
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by losloris »

I really like the ideas provided in the module. My mid level party is looking for a bunch of 'keys' to activate five towers, that will, in turn, create a dome of protection against the water archomental Olhydra. The full story provided in this module is not really something I can use, but everything involving the temple, the moonbeam and the magical weapon that appears but once a month is certainly something worth grabbing at. I really dig the picture on the scene inside the temple. Once, a long time ago, I built an entire campaign based upon the cover of an independent D&D provider - the image provided here is that good.

The basic start of my current idea is to have that weapon that appears but once a month be the key the party must retrieve.

hmm

Losloris
losloris
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by losloris »

We met and played and had a great time and feel invigorated for our next session.

I am not certain by the designation of this module being an RPG, and, this is my second use of these modules, so I offer this from ignorance. The module has a great setting and good feel to it. I was sold by the picture of being inside the temple and the guards moving in. So, I made it fit into what we are doing.

One affect from that choice is the entire backstory that came with the package did not apply. The party scoped the temple and decided to split up, half going thru the sewers, half going up. For our story I made this a cult of Valuna and tied the event to a lunar equinox that happens once every nine years. During this event the falx appears and can be used to free someone from the bonds of death. Interesting but not why we went there. We needed the scythe to activate another tower versus Olhydra.

We did the fortune teller, which really affected the players. And, both groups arrived at the ceremony near abouts the same time. Dorminder, the cleric, was wearing his cap of Valuna which granted us access. The ceremony started and we decided (at a choice time) to cause mayhem. Trouv Tou emptied the temple with a call lightning spell which decimated the worship gals. The party opted to go way in as part of a chase, dealt with Ratvik the Mad, got into the land of the dead and found Cardinal McKracken. A good time.

Now, in reading the module I found the actual setting heavy, almost too thick to use. I am finding this too with the Croaking Fane, with texture that is so deep I feel like you would only approach if you were in that world, like the Dragonlance modules. The weird monsters in BAD are cool, which I think DDC excels at: tossing in weird stuff to make everything magical in a Sinbad kind of way. The giant arm from the pool was a blast to play out. I avoided the game of death with death as it would not have worked with our story, and, it seems kind of mean.

Like He Who Watches From Below, which I think is part of this series of modules, BAD is a super nicely fleshed out version of a long adventure found in Dungeon magazine. In our case, it was a one setting event which was perfect for our needs.

Losloris

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”