Frozen in Time as a Funnel

There are over 50 DCC Adventures in print, including the main line (DCC #66.5 and up), the Holiday adventures, the Free RPG Day adventures, the new Horror line, and more! Suss them all out here!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Kamawell
Ill-Fated Peasant

Frozen in Time as a Funnel

Post by Kamawell »

Just reading through Frozen again ahead of running it as a funnel tomorrow night. The monsters seem a lot tougher than those in Sailors though that could be me mis-remembering.
Have people who have run both found a higher body count in this module? Not that that's a problem of course :) Just wondering how many reserve characters I might need to have on hand.
Doug Kovacs
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Frozen in Time as a Funnel

Post by Doug Kovacs »

I've played with Mike Curtis as the DM and run it twice myself. Ran Sailors multiple times.

I haven't seen a higher body count. I actually found that the climb in the very beginning of the adventure to gain entry into the ghost ice can be the most deadly encounter.

As for the actual monsters, the characters usually always have the option of running away, which also seems a reasonable response for a a cave women to have to a robot or a cave man to a T-rex. Also hitting the Robot with a silvery weird staff (laser rifle) seemed like a good idea to one of my characters until it exploded killing something like 90% of the party.
DOUG KOVACS
Artist/Illustrator
dk@dougkovacs.com
http://dougkovacs.com
The Drain Chamber (Blog)
http://dougkovacs.com/dkblog/
michaelcurtis
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by michaelcurtis »

I've obviously run it several times as a zero-level funnel. For the most part, the monsters aren't obscenely difficult to handle and even the really tough ones can be overcome with some planning (one will even stand there while you kill it). On average, the largest body counts occur on the climb up (should the party go one way) and via *ahem* misadventure with things not understood.
Scrivener of strange tales, part-time madman, and odd word aficionado.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I have run Frozen in Time as a funnel, and it worked excellently. There was an extremely high body count, but it was at the conclusion of the module when the players made the wrong decision about where to go.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Kamawell
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Kamawell »

Thanks guys! Out of 24 we lost three in the first session - two to the ice bear and one to the bugs in the tunnel. But our sessions are short and half of this week's was taken up with rolling up characters.

There's a wonderful savagery that takes hold of a bunch of glass blowers and haberdashers when they've just seen a couple of the group ripped apart by a sabre-toothed monster. Not one of them objected when they decided to lower the orphan over the edge of the glacier as a test subject to make sure the green vapour coming out of the tunnels wasn't dangerous :-)
DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Post by DCCfan »

Kamawell wrote:There's a wonderful savagery that takes hold of a bunch of glass blowers and haberdashers when they've just seen a couple of the group ripped apart by a sabre-toothed monster. Not one of them objected when they decided to lower the orphan over the edge of the glacier as a test subject to make sure the green vapour coming out of the tunnels wasn't dangerous :-)
:lol: Best use of an orphan yet.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10

Return to “DCC RPG Adventure Modules”