City Maps & Settings

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

DivineWannabe
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Gift of Games

City Maps & Settings

Post by DivineWannabe »

Does anyone have a recommendation for a product that gives me maps of a city as well as descriptions of the buildings and such?
Does the Lankhmar product by Goodman Games provide that?
The Divine Wannabe
Creative Purveyor of Brain Vomit
Recent Convert to DCC
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: City Maps & Settings

Post by Raven_Crowking »

DivineWannabe wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:35 pm Does anyone have a recommendation for a product that gives me maps of a city as well as descriptions of the buildings and such?
Does the Lankhmar product by Goodman Games provide that?
Lankhmar has a fantastic map by Mr. Doug Kovacs.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Judge_Yossarian
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Labyrinth Game Shop

Post by Judge_Yossarian »

Volume 1 of Metal Gods of Ur-Hadad (available for free on drivethrurpg) has a very detailed random neighborhood generator including geography, buildings, NPCs, gangs, and factions. I have always wanted to try it out or see a good game report of how it went because it seems like a ton of fun.
--------------
Chalmers frowned. "Harold, what would be a legal purpose for which to conjure a parrot?"

The Corpse that Love Built PbP:
Obadiah the Sharp: Chaotic Warrior (2nd level), Tax collector
Str: 15 (+1), Agi: 11 (0), Sta: 15 (+1), Per: 6 (-1), Int: 7 (-1), Luck: 7 (-1)
HP: 15/24; Speed: 25; Init: 2; AC: 15; Ref: 1; Fort: 2; Will: -1; Deed Die: d4
Main Weapon: Spear melee deed+1 (dmg 1d8+1+deed)
Secondary Weapon: Javelin melee deed+1 (dmg 1d6+1+deed) (x2)
Armor: Scale Mail (+4) Check penalty (-4) Fumble die (d12) Speed (-5)); Shield (+1) Check penalty (-1)
Equipment: Backpack, Rope - 50', Chain 10', iron spikes (3), small hammer, lantern, 3 flasks oil
Funds: 476 gp, 80 cp; Languages: Common
Vort
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Shoebox Games / Eastridge Sports

Post by Vort »

Yeah, the Lankhmar map is fantastic. But details on specific buildings are left to the Judge. In the "Lankhmar: City Of the Black Toga" supplement there are descriptions of notable locations in each of the city's quarters, and there are a variety of tables for generating "unique neighbourhoods" (including buildings). There is no list of buildings relating to the map, though.
Trevor / Road Crew (Calgary)
---
Shaky, Gambler, N, AC 10, hp 1, S12 A9 S5-2 P9 I9 L9, r+0, f-2, w+0, club +0 (1d4)
Shifty, Smuggler, C, AC 11, hp 1, S9 A15+1 S5-2 P13+1 I8-1 L8-1, r+1, f-2, w+1, init+1, attack rolls -1, sling +0 (1d4)
The Illuminating Anhk, Elven Artisan, L, AC 10, hp 3, S11 A9 S9 P13+1 I10 L15+1, r+0, f+0, w+1, fumbles +1, staff +0 (1d4)
KIA Bailey Bramford, Beadle, L, AC 11, hp 1, S13+1 A13+1 S12 P5-2 I13+1 L11, r+1, f+0, w-2, init +1, staff +1 (1d4+1)
Archade
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Forbes Hobbies

Post by Archade »

Cities of Harn, by Columbia Games. It's a gritty, low-fantasy setting, but their cities and denizens are well fleshed out. You will need to up the weirdness a bit to make it mesh with DCC...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cities_of_Hârn
imperialus
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Sentry Box

Post by imperialus »

If you can track it down, Yiggsburg by Troll Lord Games is probably the most detailed city book I've ever seen. It was also Gary Gygax's last project so it's a pretty cool piece of history.

Unfortunately, after Gary passed away the licence for it went into limbo, and it only ever saw a single print run so while you can get it on Ebay... expect to pay collectors prices.
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

imperialus wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:16 am If you can track it down, Yiggsburg by Troll Lord Games is probably the most detailed city book I've ever seen. It was also Gary Gygax's last project so it's a pretty cool piece of history.

Unfortunately, after Gary passed away the licence for it went into limbo, and it only ever saw a single print run so while you can get it on Ebay... expect to pay collectors prices.
I agree, it's quite a tome. I am extremely lucky to have two copies, one signed by Darlene (who did the cartography!)
pulsemeat
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Valet de Couer

Post by pulsemeat »

Maybe this goes without saying but... City-State of the Invincible Overlord is the go-to detailed city that hasn't been bested since 1979. I used it in my recent DCC campaign and could do so in a hundred others.
qstor
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by qstor »

Maybe Bards Gate by Frog God Games the Swords & Wizardry version? Or the City of Greyhawk boxed set for AD&D 2e?
"I waste it with my Hackmaster +12" Dave KODT

Twitter: @qstor2
Mat Mobile
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: L'abyss

Post by Mat Mobile »

Ok, so it's not a city and might not suit your needs but I find that "Doom of the Savage Kings" has a pretty good town map. It's small but in a way it captures the essence of DCC RPG:

"Most everyday peasants in a medieval setting never travel more than a few miles from their places of birth. Their lives are circumscribed by local terrain boundaries: a river to the east, the hills to the north, the village one town over to the south. In a game that accurately attempts to capture the medieval adventuring experience—or, phrased differently, in a game that retains the spirit of Appendix N—you do not need a vast space for adventuring. An area of land only 100 miles square should provide years of adventure, for it is a space larger than most living men will ever explore."

(p. 307 of DCC rulebook)

I use it as my base town and just keep adding NPCs or developing the ones they already met.
AMLopez
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: DragonFly Games

Post by AMLopez »

City State of the Invincible Overlord? I haven't read through it in a while, and I may be wrong, but I think it had a decent number of detailed buildings and such.
“C'mon kid. Think a minute, even if it hurts.”
― Robert Lynn Asprin, Another Fine Myth

Return to “Judges' Forum”