DCC Giants Adventure?

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Bacon the Zealot
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: The Citadel RPG

DCC Giants Adventure?

Post by Bacon the Zealot »

I never played AD&D back in the 80's but these awesome comics:

http://media.wizards.com/images/dnd/car ... R1Full.jpg

... and lots of nostalgic retrospectives posted online make me want to buy the Against the Giants (G1-3) modules and crack open my collection of 1st Edition AD&D books.

However... can I use these modules (and the D1-3 series) with DCC? What should be the level of the PCs at the start? How do the giants in the DCC rulebook compare at the table with the 1e giants? Is there a DCC module with giants out there I can purchase instead?

Make a convincing argument for using DCC instead of 1e AD&D.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: DCC Giants Adventure?

Post by Raven_Crowking »

DCC #72 Beyond the Black Gate
Stronghold of the Wood Giant Shaman (Thick Skull Publishing)
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
ThickSkullAdv
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by ThickSkullAdv »

@Raven_crowking - thanks for the shout out.

@Bacon The Zealot:
So the spoiler alert on Stronghold of the Wood Giant Shaman, is that I wrote it as an homage adventure to G1. Goodman Games did a publisher spotlight about that adventure which you can read here.

Community favorite Bill Meyer (StinkyOgre) has run it several times as well so he can probably give feedback as well.

I can give you all kinds of feedback as to how the PCs fared against the giants but the gist of it is this: we playtested 5th-level PCs and it was really swingy. 5th-level magic is really strong and a Wizard/Cleric can do significant damage with a single spell like Paralysis.

But that said...

It only takes one or two successful hits from a giant (even a Wood Giant which are slightly weaker than Hill Giants) for things to go south VERY quickly. Where the critters are on the initiative order becomes much more significant.

Also: the "henchmen" in this adventure (similar to role the orcs played in G1) are squatches - I posted their stats in a DCC RPG G+ post here.

Feel free to reach out if you have any Qs.
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

Stronghold of the Wood Giant Shaman (Thick Skull Publishing)

I recommend it! :D
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

ThickSkullAdv wrote:@Raven_crowking - thanks for the shout out.
You're welcome!

How could I do otherwise?

:D
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “Judges' Forum”