Running a campaign

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

LeMaster of the Wise
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Adventure Gaming

Running a campaign

Post by LeMaster of the Wise »

So I have been thinking about running a campaign that I have used before. I just wanted to know if there is anything special about running a long running game in DCC as compared to other rpgs.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Running a campaign

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Every single Quest For It moment is a hook for you as the judge. Make sure the players know they can seek out things that they want, and then use those things as hooks to adventures/adventure locations. The CE Series, published by Purple Duck Games and written by Your Truly, are specifically designed to help build campaigns.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
losloris
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: trig

Re: Running a campaign

Post by losloris »

This raises an interesting topic my friends and I have chatted thru; Do you find it an advantage to be playing in a known world?

I think it is tremendously cool to have a map laid out with all of the world 'known' and where the modules are 'placed' - all as a concept. I am not certain how I would make that information available for my players, let alone in a fashion that would not necessarily tip the hand as to what is where.

To the initial question, running a campaign in DCC, I am having a blast, in effect, making this up on the fly and tossing in DCC modules where they fit my need. I have found some modules really well detailed, which aids in my ability to provide a global perspective to my party's questions. Most of the actual settings provided as intro to each module are not important to me on the specifics but they do lend a hand in understanding how the module was intended, and thus, how I could make a similar intention for my setting. Some of the modules are really nice settings that do not need much in the way of formal who, what, where leaving plenty of room for me to affix the environment to an exact spot in my world.

As to my question of having an established setting, I am making the map up as we go, being really uncertain on how the party would have known where things are/were and how that would impact upon them. On the one hand I would not like to feel boxed in as a DM; on the other, none of my players are familiar with any of the setting I have explored, be they DCC or hawkgray or lancedragon or any such.

Losloris

Return to “Judges' Forum”