rare Demi-humans

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Qayin88
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Tavern

rare Demi-humans

Post by Qayin88 »

Elfland thread:
http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 75&t=47886

Reading this post think about a issue.

Creating a world with 60% are men. 25% halflings. And the rest dwarves and elves. What do you think?

I read somewhere people put elves the Melniboneans / Atlanteans on a distant island. I do not like this idea, which would exclude the "King of Elfland" patron.

Taking this into account how elves do you live in yours campaign?

Well, the dwarves are just dwarfs.

I avoid putting kingdoms of segregated races. Elves and dwarfs have been great in the past. But now it's men's team.
Last edited by finarvyn on Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed the url link
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: rare Demi-humans

Post by finarvyn »

Typically, when I build a campaign setting I populate most of the space with humans but scatter little isolated demi-human settlements. An elven forest here, dwarven mountain there, that kind of thing. That doesn't mean that elves and dwarves can't live intermingled with humans, but instead gives them a homeland off on the fringes.

Same thing with Melnibone. When I use Elric's nation I make it a tiny spot of an island in some remote and obscure area of the world so that exploring PCs won't encounter the place at random. This keeps the island more mysterious and special, in my opinion. I could have an occasional Melnibonian PC or NPC living in the main world, but I don't want too many of them.

As to your demihuman percentages, feel free to make them whatever you like because this will help to define the flavor of your particular campaign setting. A Conan game might be nearly 100% human while a LotR Shire campaign could be predominantly Halfling, but both are "Appendix N" in flavor and therefore can be solid DCC settings.

Just my two coppers.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

My Elves came to this world in three mighty City spaceships. One crashed in the far north and to this day it is the center of Elven civilization. These Elves are what most folk in my world think of as Elves. Long pointed ears, thin with pale skin and almond shaped eyes.

After conquering the known world they fell into decline and after breaking the shackles of Law soon embraced Chaos and Sorcery. Now many centuries after their decline the elves now called The White, now hold only their original City from the stars.

*One of the other ships originally flew towards the legendary continent to the south and one disappeared into another plane of existence.

Dwarves in my world were created by the Ancient Gods who ruled the world before the current age of Mortals.*My world is actually post apocalyptic Earth many thousands of years from now. Most of the Ancient Gods nonsense is folks inability to see that mankind used to be so much more advanced. So in reality Dwarves were created by advanced humankind to live and work deep underground for mining both here on earth and on other words and even on asteroids and the like. The Dwarven creation myths reflect many of these things but as legends and distorted creation mythos.
Qayin88
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Qayin88 »

My Elves came to this world in three mighty City spaceships. One crashed in the far north and to this day it is the center of Elven civilization. These Elves are what most folk in my world think of as Elves. Long pointed ears, thin with pale skin and almond shaped eyes.

After conquering the known world they fell into decline and after breaking the shackles of Law soon embraced Chaos and Sorcery. Now many centuries after their decline the elves now called The White, now hold only their original City from the stars.

*One of the other ships originally flew towards the legendary continent to the south and one disappeared into another plane of existence.

Dwarves in my world were created by the Ancient Gods who ruled the world before the current age of Mortals.*My world is actually post apocalyptic Earth many thousands of years from now. Most of the Ancient Gods nonsense is folks inability to see that mankind used to be so much more advanced. So in reality Dwarves were created by advanced humankind to live and work deep underground for mining both here on earth and on other words and even on asteroids and the like. The Dwarven creation myths reflect many of these things but as legends and distorted creation mythos.
This original City of the stars would be Elfland?
Interesting.
And can they go back there?
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

The King of Elfland figure is a little different in my game. He is the Elven God-king of the third City-ship that slipped between worlds in the Wild.

The Wild is another plane of existence where nature dominates to a much larger degree than on Earth. It appears to be endless and frankly illogical. For instance the sun and the moon hold sway over large sections of the Wild and appear to not set. In the Summerlan Hold where the Elf King (sometimes) holds court the sun always shines and the elves have to journey down the Fall River to find the area where the night Queens Court holds sway under the stars and moon.

Time passes very strangely in the wild. At least once a powerful pc wizard journeyed there to find the answer to a very important question only to arrive back on earth with the secret in time to kill his own great grandfather (who was 16) and cause himself to vanish as if he had never been and a stranger to suddenly appear that everyone had instantly known for years.

As one of my players put it.

"F$%$ the Elves and the Wild, Every single time we mess with that stuff things just go sideways and flip end over end and we end up far more confused and unknowing than when we started.

The Godking is a tragic figure however. He has gone insane and although at times appears wise and Kingly, it is only fleeting. For most of the time he dances and sings and plays the flute for years at a time and if you hear it you to will dance and sing for joy and sorrow until the music stops. Mortals often dance to death and he has even been known to slip between worlds and ensnare entire villages in his wild cavorting. The trail of dead bodies and crushed souls he leaves in his wake are terrifying to behold but not as horrifying as his sudden bouts of motionlessness.

Once while in the mortal world he danced and sung his way into the middle of a vast battle and carried off all the men left alive but one who had been injured in the head and could no longer hear. The Elven God-King lead the men deep into the lost woods and suddenly stopped. Everyone following stopped as well. The Deaf Soldier tried to rouse them and get them away but none would move and he couldn't move them.

He left them there and went for help but it took him a week to find help and return.

When he did it was to find the Elven God-King gone but the soldiers and other followers were still there. Turned to stone, unmoving forever more.

The Forest of Stone Men is still there and several important battles for my pc's have occurred while fighting among the stone men.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

I went the Arduin way with my races for my next campaign and included multiple different versions for some races (and as in the previous one, race as class is not a thing at my table). Elves? There are evil fey, decadent melnibonéans, and tree huggers too. Dwarves? There are hill/mountain dwarves, paranoid nibelungs, and city dwelling craftsmen. I even divided reptilians to two races this time, with having brutish lizardmen, and slithering snakemen with venomous bite.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Qayin88
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Qayin88 »

The King of Elfland figure is a little different in my game. He is the Elven God-king of the third City-ship that slipped between worlds in the Wild.

The Wild is another plane of existence where nature dominates to a much larger degree than on Earth. It appears to be endless and frankly illogical. For instance the sun and the moon hold sway over large sections of the Wild and appear to not set. In the Summerlan Hold where the Elf King (sometimes) holds court the sun always shines and the elves have to journey down the Fall River to find the area where the night Queens Court holds sway under the stars and moon.

Time passes very strangely in the wild. At least once a powerful pc wizard journeyed there to find the answer to a very important question only to arrive back on earth with the secret in time to kill his own great grandfather (who was 16) and cause himself to vanish as if he had never been and a stranger to suddenly appear that everyone had instantly known for years.

As one of my players put it.

"F$%$ the Elves and the Wild, Every single time we mess with that stuff things just go sideways and flip end over end and we end up far more confused and unknowing than when we started.

The Godking is a tragic figure however. He has gone insane and although at times appears wise and Kingly, it is only fleeting. For most of the time he dances and sings and plays the flute for years at a time and if you hear it you to will dance and sing for joy and sorrow until the music stops. Mortals often dance to death and he has even been known to slip between worlds and ensnare entire villages in his wild cavorting. The trail of dead bodies and crushed souls he leaves in his wake are terrifying to behold but not as horrifying as his sudden bouts of motionlessness.

Once while in the mortal world he danced and sung his way into the middle of a vast battle and carried off all the men left alive but one who had been injured in the head and could no longer hear. The Elven God-King lead the men deep into the lost woods and suddenly stopped. Everyone following stopped as well. The Deaf Soldier tried to rouse them and get them away but none would move and he couldn't move them.

He left them there and went for help but it took him a week to find help and return.

When he did it was to find the Elven God-King gone but the soldiers and other followers were still there. Turned to stone, unmoving forever more.

The Forest of Stone Men is still there and several important battles for my pc's have occurred while fighting among the stone men.
I loved it!
I'll adopt that concept. :D
These elves now live in the forests of the earth?
Qayin88
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Qayin88 »

I went the Arduin way with my races for my next campaign and included multiple different versions for some races (and as in the previous one, race as class is not a thing at my table). Elves? There are evil fey, decadent melnibonéans, and tree huggers too. Dwarves?
Blood and Souls for my Lord Arioch! :twisted:

Return to “Judges' Forum”