Which character does the monster attack?

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

brainszine
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Fun Again Games

Which character does the monster attack?

Post by brainszine »

How do you decide which character the monster attacks on its turn?

It's been suggested in the forums that it's the character with the lowest Luck, but that is boring when over-applied: In each encounter the monster always attacks the same guy?

It's possible to use miniatures to plot combat and have the monster attack the nearest foe. But in these cases the monster always attacks the character with the highest initiative roll since that's who's approached first. Doesn't that unduly punish the characters with the highest agility?

It's been suggested to use "logic" -- Who would the monster WANT to fight first? But in many cases, the monster is mindless, which means randomizing it with another dice roll, adding another step to initiative. Isn't there a better way?

I'm not sure what to think. Who does the monster attack in your games?
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: Which character does the monster attack?

Post by mythfish »

I use all of the above, according to my Judgy whims.

For non-intelligent monsters, I usually start by making it random even though it adds an extra die roll, or going with lowest Luck once in a while just to dissuade players from burning too much Luck. But once combat gets going, even my non-intelligent monsters usually attack whoever hurts it the most.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Mindless monsters still get hungry. Who is carrying food?

Mindless monsters are attracted to shiny objects. Who's wearing polished plate mail?

Mindless monsters are afraid of redheads. Who's not a redhead?

BE the monster. The answers will come.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
ProdigalWilliam
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Everybody Reads

Post by ProdigalWilliam »

I go with a combination of attacking the character who successfully attacked it last and dice rolls when that doesn't apply. If I ever use the lowest luck to target it's only on the very first fight. I do this because I am under the impression that continually targeting the lowest luck character will dissuade luck burn on characters the player wants to keep as their surviving characters. I also think it can create a culture where luck is amassed and never or almost never burned. Frequent use of roll under luck checks seems to have the same effect if my sessions have been any indication.
MoD Demi-humans
Elrod, Elven Sage - 2hp, 11AC, HP: 2, str16(+2) agl13(+1) sta8(-1) per15(+1) int10(0) luc10(0); init: 1; ref(1), fort(-1), wil(1)
Pitchfork +2 (1d8+2); Chest: (rope (50'), Parchment, quill pen, 15 cp)

Celebron, Elven Barrister - 2hp, 10AC, str11(0) agl9(0) sta11(0) per12(0) int15(+1) luc5(-2); init: 0; ref(0), fort(0), wil(0); Lucky Sign: Hawkeye (Missile fire damage rolls) (1)
Dagger (1d4), Quill (1d4+1); Lg Sack: (Book, Candle, Torches (3), 20 cp)

Halfling, Halfling Vagrant - 4hp, 10AC, str11(0) agl9(0) sta12(0) per9(0) int14(+1) luc10(0); init: 0; ref(0), fort(2), wil(0); Lucky Sign: Lived through famine (Fortitude saving throws) (+2)
Club (1d4); Lg Sack: (Begging Bowl, Oil Flask, Flint+Steel, Iron Spikes 3)

Legolad, Elven Falconer - 1hp, 10AC, str8(-1) agl9(0) sta15(+1) per7(-1) int13(+1) luc14(+1); init: 0; ref(0), fort(1), wil(1); Lucky Sign: Survived the plague (Magical healing) (1)
Dagger -1 (1d4-1); Lg Sack: (Torches 2, Chalk 2); Falcon, Aerandir
Max_The_Judge
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: Game Kastle

Post by Max_The_Judge »

You've got a lot of options. I make my players give me a party order for dungeon crawling. Those in the front get attacked first in frontal assaults, those in the rear get hit by ambushes. I generally make the monster go for whoever is closer unless they have a specific agenda in mind. Some monsters hate dwarves or elves. Mindless undead attack whoever is closest and don't use strategy. Often if one character is doing better I'll have the monsters focus their attention on that character. Always try to get inside the monster's head. And if all else fails, random rolls work. They really help to heighten the tension.
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

Don't forget if all else fails to give you who gets clobbered, use the Luck score!
DM Cojo
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by DM Cojo »

Random die roll as I have since the beginning with Mentzer Red Box.

Return to “Judges' Forum”