Sailors on the Starless Sea endgame curveball (spoilers)

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: -

Sailors on the Starless Sea endgame curveball (spoilers)

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

So I finally got a group past the leviathan (by sacrificing farm animals) and up to the ziggurat. The group of about a dozen dressed in the chaos priest robes (the others posing as sacrificial prisoners) pushed their way to the top and focused on the shaman with the effigy in the surprise round. They also- of their own accord- made every effort to push said shaman into the pit but keep the effigy out, rolling a 20 to do so. They proceeded to kick beastman butt left and right.

So, if the effigy doesn't go into the pit, no Chaos Lord. No Chaos Lord final death, no cave in. No cave in, the party can mop up ALL that loot. Did I screw this up? lol

Black Kylessa (c) LV 2 Wizard (orphan)
Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)
Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: -

Re: Sailors on the Starless Sea endgame curveball (spoilers)

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

...so I'm now thinking the ritual was interrupted and the beastmen routed, but something should still happen since they were so close to completion. At the same time, I don't want to snatch a well-planned victory completely away from the party as though they had failed...

Did this sort of thing happen in any of your games?

Black Kylessa (c) LV 2 Wizard (orphan)
Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I've never seen it happen, but I would let them take what gold they could and toil back the way they came, only to have the castle collapse into the pit behind them.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Blutimate
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Blutimate »

I agree with Crowking. The beastmen were, after all, conducting some type of ritual to the chaos gods. Surely, the gods in question would not allow this to end without some sort of ruckus.

I think the cave collapsing in is a fair result and it still allows the players to utilize the escape routes during the final hazard.

David
Buttmonkey
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Buttmonkey »

I don't have the module in front of me, but as I recall the text says the summoning ritual is already underway when the PCs arrive. In a situation like yours (where the PCs interrupt the ritual completely so that the chaos lord is not summoned), I would have no problem ruling that the failure to complete the ritual results in the cave collapsing as well. Maybe give the PCs a few more rounds to gather loot before all hell breaks loose. They get the reward of avoiding the chaos lord as well as more loot, but the adventure continues.

Return to “Judges' Forum”