running 0-level and 1st/2nd level characters together

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

seibei
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Rail Tales (Charlottesville VA)

running 0-level and 1st/2nd level characters together

Post by seibei »

Hi! Sorry if this has already been answered here.

I'm a first time judge who's looking to set up a running, somewhat open game of DCC with various friends. All of our schedules are pretty hectic, so I'm not expecting to have the same group of adventurers every session, and I want to design adventures so players can come and go as our work and lives dictate.

I'm going to be running a funnel with some of our friends next week, and I was wondering how feasible it might be to combine a funnel with a low level adventure, when we want to add new players to the mix. Maybe the adventurers rescue a group of prisoners from a dark dungeon and these 0-level characters fight alongside the heroes to make it back home, the survivors making it to level 1 in the process? Or would it just turn into the adventurers protecting the 0-level characters while they hang back for the remainder of the adventure?

Any and all suggestions are welcome. I can't wait for our first session - I'll be running Sailors on the Starless Sea.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: running 0-level and 1st/2nd level characters together

Post by Raven_Crowking »

I've done it, without any appreciable problems.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
fym66
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: running 0-level and 1st/2nd level characters together

Post by fym66 »

Honestly, it's the best way to bring new people in. The new guy/gal gets four 0's and the other players all have their one character. The one player gets to learn the ropes and lose characters, while the others get something extra to take a few hits.

Return to “Judges' Forum”