NPC Wizards and Corruption

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

lukash
Far-Sighted Wanderer

NPC Wizards and Corruption

Post by lukash »

What do you think is the appropriate amount of corruption for NPC wizards?

I was thinking about this rolling a d8 for each wizard level and then consulting the following: None (0 or less), Minor (1-4), Major (4-6), Greater (7+). Is that enough/not enough? I'd ignore the pass out result on the Minor Corruption table.

I ask because I have two low-level NPC wizards in town, one Lawful and the other Chaotic. I'm ruling the lawful wizard was probably more careful about casting spells (i.e., didn't cast them often) and avoided being overly corrupted. The chaotic wizard was probably reckless and didn't worry about corruption that much. In game terms, the lawful wizard subtracts 1 from the dice roll. The chaotic wizard will add 1 to the dice roll.

I could just pick ones I like, but this seems to be more fun for me, and sometimes I'm inspired by random results. Characters go in directions I hadn't expected based on my initial concept.

Thanks!
22 Start / 3 Dead / 6 Wounded / Portal Under the Stars
12 Start / 3 Dead / 0 Wounded / Sailors on the Starless Sea (not finished)
Rostranor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: NPC Wizards and Corruption

Post by Rostranor »

I think the rates would be how often you think they cast spells. Murdehobo PCs are like lawn darts from space, but others, though they study magic may not have the need to cast spells that very often.

Return to “Judges' Forum”