Tinkering with the halfling

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Tinkering with the halfling

Post by Skyscraper »

I've set a homebrew game world where no demi-humans exist for flavor purposes.

However, I've decided to keep the demi-human classes and reflavor them, and possibly touch up one or two abilities accordingly, but mostly keeping them unchanged. I.e. halflings, elves and dwarves are races of human, and called differently.

The halflings are "gypsies". I had not been forced to define the race until now, since a PC just levelled up to level 1 with a halfling.

Gypsies DO NOT have infravision, and they are not small-sized.

They have most of the other halfling abilities, and I've been toying with the idea of including some spirit-linked abilities, for example hypnotism, reading cards, using crystal balls, and the like (in upper levels).

Now, the player comes up to me suggesting that a cool power for his halfling would be to be able to use his luck to reduce the enemies' rolls, in addition to his allies.

I'm kind of reluctant to allow it, mainly because i'm not thrilled at the flavor, but i'd like to get others' opinion on this.

I realize that the character would have only so much luck anyway, so using it on his enemies means he'll have fewer luck points to spend on his allies and himself. So allowing it would not be that powerful.

Thoughts?
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
maxinstuff
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Tinkering with the halfling

Post by maxinstuff »

I would avoid trying to use 'human' races as it can be a minefield....

I would assume everyone is human and rename the other classes as follows:

Halfling || Rogue
Dwarf || Soldier
Elf || Adept
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

I would go with this:
Dwarf - Soldier, Knight
Elf - Warlock
Halfling - Ranger, Scout
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

Thanks for your input, good ideas there :)
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Monster
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Monster »

Halflings are pretty powerful as written, so I would tread carefully.

I think they are often overlooked as both a fighter type and a rogue.
To that creature, you are the monsters hunting it!
Noun mon·ster/mɒnstər/Show Spell[mon-ster]
1. a legendary animal combining features of animal and human form or having the forms of various animals in combination, as a centaur, griffin, or sphinx.
2. any creature so ugly or monstrous as to frighten people.
3. any animal or human grotesquely deviating from the normal shape, behavior, or character.
4. a person who excites horror by wickedness, cruelty, etc.
5. any animal or thing huge in size.
6. any small, unattended children running free
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Monster wrote:I think they are often overlooked
Because they are short......
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
maxinstuff
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by maxinstuff »

Raven_Crowking wrote:
Monster wrote:I think they are often overlooked
Because they are short......
BWAHAHAH

:-)
caveman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by caveman »

I added a "bullseye" mechanic to Halflings, they get to roll the d20 twice and keep the highest when throwing darts, daggers and slings. Just to encourage them to not be double weapon warriors all the time.
Skyscraper

Post by Skyscraper »

caveman wrote:I added a "bullseye" mechanic to Halflings, they get to roll the d20 twice and keep the highest when throwing darts, daggers and slings. Just to encourage them to not be double weapon warriors all the time.
Very interesting idea.

Another alternative would be to allow them to use a d24 when attacking with those weapons at range, instead of a d20; with results 20-24 being a crit.

caveman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by caveman »

d24 is a good one, though maybe even stronger statistically.

Return to “Judges' Forum”