Sheep Men!! - Give your thoughts!

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

dseppling
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Sheep Men!! - Give your thoughts!

Post by dseppling »

I saw the graphic somewhere in the forums and my mind went to this. Tear it apart like wolves or use it as you will. Thanks Goodman Games for reawakening the imagination of long, long ago.

NAME: Sheep Warrior
AD: 1d20
MOVE: 30’
HD: 1d10 hp
AC: 14 (Wool + Leather Armor) Thick Wool: +2 to AC
SPECIAL:
Ram: A sheep warrior may do a sudden ram with its horns at an opponent at +3 melee/1d6 damage (w/in 20'). If it hits, the target must make a REF DC 11+ amount of damage to stay up or be knocked prone.

Screaming of the Lambs: A herd of 5 or more sheep warriors can start bleating a disconcerting cry that disrupts the hearers resulting in a -3 on ALL rolls. There is a WILL DC 13 to disregard it. They can do this before initiative every other round.

ATTACK/S:
Bite +1 melee (1d3)
Ram +3 melee (1d6)
Weapon +2 melee

INITIATIVE: +0
REFLEX: +0
FORTITUDE: +1
WILL: +0
APPEARANCE/OTHER:
The Sheep warrior is a strong creature. Created long ago by a tinkering wizard. The intelligent sheep finally rose up and killed their creator.

The dozens of creatures then drew their new race to the forests and hills to preserve their new herd. They can easily disguise themselves as a normal herd of common sheep for reconnaissance or attack.

Sheep men do have humanoid hands and can easily use weapons, armor (fashioned for their body type), and shields. They shy away from helms so they can ram with their horns.

They will have a female shaman who is their spiritual leader who serves as a 4th level cleric worshipping Litram, Goddess of the Meadow. For every 10 Sheep warriors they will have a beta-sheep (level 2 fighter) and for every 40 there is a alpha-sheep (level 4 fighter) who shepherds the herd.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Sheep Men!! - Give your thoughts!

Post by finarvyn »

I can't imagine running a "sheep man" in my campaign, but I had a fun time reading about it. :lol:

Welcome to the boards! 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Sheep warriors.....the baaaaaaadest of the baaaaaaaad!

:lol:

SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

They are baaaadass.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Exedor
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Exedor »

Great idea! I will use this for sure. I love throwing in monsters that don't fit into the D&D/FRPG canon.
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

The race is also kind of a political statement.
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

Good stuff.
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
Exedor
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Exedor »

Yesterday my players were tromping through the wilderness when they came to a region of rolling hills. They were gradually surrounded by sheep herded by a number of sheep-men, who insisted they help resume some of their kind who had been abducted…by a rival of the party. The party proceeded to bust down the rival's door and demand he...free his sheep. They somehow got the idea that sheep-men were among those corralled, but it is just regular sheep. The rival now thinks the party is a pack of insane bullies, because they insisted he had crossed the "sheeple". In spite of his hatred of the party, he has insisted they take him to see the "sheeple". I can't wait for the next session. The sheep and their sheep-men herders are being preyed upon by bugbears. Little do they know there is an ogre-magi lording over the bugbears. I am not yet sure how the sheep-men will respond when presented with the kidnapper.
dseppling
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by dseppling »

Cool! Thanks for the update. I'm glad its brought some fun to your herd.
mightyuncle
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by mightyuncle »

Sounds like benevolent Broo! Into it.
Exedor
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Exedor »

Oh and the hamming up of the sheep-men's speech is an easy win. The leader's name is Bra'a'a'ab and the priestess of the goddess of the meadow will be along a similar line. I've decided the party's rival will win the sheep men's affections and end up profiting more than the party, reaping the finest of wools.
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

So,you are saying the other group will be able to pull the wool over their eyes?
Exedor
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Exedor »

At the moment the "rival" is just a farmer who the party rescued from orcs but who objected to some of their more ruthless behavior. But you've given me an idea and I will give him a posse just to stick in their craw. They are oddly set on having enemies…why disappoint? The precious wool of the sheep-men is the perfect maguffin.

These players are realm builders and I am introducing ACKS realm rules.
Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Crimsontree »

I'm running Shadows Over Bogenhafen using the DCC rules. It's set during the annual Shaffenfest & I'm going to use the Chaos infected sheep-men to attack my group in this Sunday's session. Thanks for creating them. :)
dseppling
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by dseppling »

May the Shaffen be festive and the sheep be screaming! You are welcome!
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Reminds me of the Killer Sheep skit in Monty Python.
Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Crimsontree »

dseppling wrote:May the Shaffen be festive and the sheep be screaming! You are welcome!
It was great. My players characters were investigating a clothing store that used to be a local magic school/demonologist's house. They heard baa-ing from the attic & went to investigate. They were attacked by 2 of the head-butting sheep on the way up the stairs & then accosted by 4 of the wooly biters in the attic. The sheep had been summoned by a demon & I Warhammered the sheep by adding mutations, misplaced body parts & internal organs that were just plain 'wrong'. There were lots of shudders & sheep puns. My group had a blast. They'll not forget the Schaffenfest in a hurry.

Thaaaaaaaaanks! ;)
Punluvin
Gongfarmer

Post by Punluvin »

These guys look fun. Makes me think of the New Zealand horror-comedy, Black Sheep.
AndrewSFTSN
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by AndrewSFTSN »

Cool stuff-these could be funny, but I think played in a different way could be frightening.

Has anyone read Mervyn Peake's novella Boy In Darkness? Essentially the young heir to a castle wanders far from home, and finds himself in a wasteland populated by three humanoid beings, The Ram, The Hyena and.... The Lamb. The latter is portrayed as frail, child-like, numinous...and incredibly vindictive and evil, dwelling in pitch darkness. The other two live in fear of it, as it can hear everything that happens across its entire domain...if I remember correctly it has the power to transform men into animal analogues, almost all of which become abominations to the point they can't survive.

Another way of thinking is that these guys could be scary simply because of the stereotypically herd-like behaviour of sheep. Get an unctuous duke or lord for them to respect and they'd probably do absolutely anything he told them to do - no matter how debased - all in their blissful ignorance.
dseppling
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by dseppling »

They can go either way. I was thinking of the fear of Jodie Foster in Silence of the Lambs. "Do you hear the crying of the lambs Clarice?"
UUperMission
Gongfarmer

Post by UUperMission »

I'd make them have a -2 or -3 in their WILL saves. Sheep are mad stupid.

Return to “Judges' Forum”