Grimtooth's Traps and DCC RPG

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Grimtooth's Traps and DCC RPG

Post by Ravenheart87 »

I'm planning to spice up my dungeons with some traps. I'm eyeing with two books: Grimtooth's Traps and The Wurst of Grimtooth's Traps (d20 supplement). I'm going to buy only one of them. Which one do you recommend for use with DCC RPG and why?
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Grimtooth's Traps and DCC RPG

Post by GnomeBoy »

Well, I know the original has no rules in it -- so you'd have to devise all the mechanic-based stuff yourself -- or not, in the case of DCC, if you go with descriptive trap solutions.

I'm not familiar with the d20 version, but it could give you a basis for Thieves' rolls to work from, I suppose...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

Actually, the original book has a rating system as to how deadly it is. That translates well to Menial, Easy, Moderate, Difficult, and Godly checks for detection and removal. Most of the traps are really just silly and fun to read. But, there are definitely some that jigger and inspire custom ideas. Another resource to check out is the d30 companion available on rpgnow. It has tables for creating custom traps and such that I have really used and enjoyed for my DCC games.
Rostranor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rostranor »

Skars,
I dont know if I would classify radiation as a trap!
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

Bahahahahah! You mean "the sickness?" :mrgreen: No, that's all my doing. Maybe I will clean it up for crawl...
Jobe Bittman
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Jobe Bittman »

Get the Wurst of Grimtooth's Traps. It has most of the traps from all the Grimtooth books. It's a nicer hardcover format.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

I haven't seen these books since way back (1980's?) so my memory may be hazy, but I recall that the traps were really cool and really deadly. As was mentioned, they are totally system-neutral so they would fit into a DCC game as much as any other RPG system.

I was always afraid to toss stuff like this at my players because it never seemed fair, they just seemed too darned deadly. Eventually I got rid of my books because I never used them. If folks say they are really worthwhile I may look for copies again, but my earlier experience was not to use them.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “Judges' Forum”