Isle of the Unknown Campaign Mapping

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Isle of the Unknown Campaign Mapping

Post by Skars »

I am utilizing this thread to log our DCC campaign sessions, but I won't be recounting the entire session just keeping track of the materials used as possible inspiration for other Judges.

Cast of players:
Kristi
Geoff
Lisa
Jordan
Mike
Martin
Aaron

Here is what we have used thus far and each session runs an average of 5 hours:

Sailors on the Starless Sea
Cotillion of Hours
People of Pembrooktonshire - No Dignity in Death, the Three Brides
Tower of the Stargazer
The Vile Worm

As for House rules, I am using a fountain table I derived from Nethack, the in between adventures table posted on these forums, Crawl! magazine and other bits and pieces like Smokepowder (gunpowder). Character deaths have been taken in stride and the party is at just about 2nd level with a few stragglers. :P
Last edited by Skars on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gansk
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Isle of the Unknown Campaign Mapping

Post by Gansk »

I'm interested in using most of these materials in a Wilderlands campaign.

Pembrooktonshire is a problem for me because of the Victorian era feel. The first module features a printing press selling cheesy novels to a bunch of literate residents. The town is not exactly filled with DCC-style serfs.

Did you change it for DCC or did you add the gunpowder rules and just go with it as-is?
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

I went with it and I think it worked out great. Bits and pieces of renaissance era technology and as already noted, gunpowder, can be done in ways that are still Appendix N. In my world, basically Gnomes have the monopoly on "smokepowder" and it's hard to get. A murder mystery like No Dignity in Death: The three brides provides an opportunity for characters to interact with a bunch of townsfolk and really flesh out the setting. My characters ended up high tailing it out of Pembrooktonshire after they solved the case, but every session since a reference has been made to the "Bumblebee Bandit" :P
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

This past Friday we played the Vile Worm an Appendix N adventure toolkit by Brave Halfling Publishing and I think everyone had a fantastic time. Since the party waltzed out of the tower with tons of loot, I decided to implement the simple encumbrance system noted elsewhere here in the forums and the Vile Worm made for a great interlude as the party attempted to stash a bunch of dough and then find their way back to town to cash in. I think my favorite moment was when the spellcaster paralyzed one of the worm larvae as it was depositing its seed in the mouth of a paralyzed party member..."Sure I'm safe for the moment, but is anyone going to wrench this thing off of my face?!@" :) I'm up to seven players now so I tend to have folks stick to one pc at a time. If the party gets too crowded, slaver chaos dwarves rip through the campsite...one of these days they may actually find the other party members or get to play the jailbreak, we will see ;)
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Skars wrote: "Sure I'm safe for the moment, but is anyone going to wrench this thing off of my face?!@" :) I'm up to seven players now so I tend to have folks stick to one pc at a time. If the party gets too crowded, slaver chaos dwarves rip through the campsite...one of these days they may actually find the other party members or get to play the jailbreak, we will see ;)
How was Vile Worm to run? Looked pretty straightforward.
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

Vile was short and straightforward to run. after defeating the deranged woodsman, the worm and it's larvae and plundering some good loot, My PCs ended up fleeing the scene once the Eldritch Tree awoke and charmed another party member. They were able to incapacitate the charmed member and bolt from the scene. Luckily, too, as the charmed player was the spellcaster and a fortunate failure to cast herself afforded the chance. Sometimes a simple straightforward interlude makes for great roleplay as you aren't as focused on the minutiae.
Skars
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Skars »

Sorry for not keeping you folks up to date here, I was helping some of our Third Party folks with play testing with our group and didn't want to risk any spoilers! I will work to get the past few sessions added to the list but alas, the chapter of this particular campaign is over.

I will lament a bit with a unique topic elsewhere on the board. :?

Return to “Judges' Forum”