coins as props

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, michaelcurtis, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

coins as props

Post by beermotor »

Anyone ever used pennies, nickels, dimes, or quarters as props for in game coins? To help illustrate the rarity of coinage, I was considering bringing a bunch of pennies (cp), nickels (sp), and dimes (gp), and handing them out as starting coins and treasure along the way. Also to remind folks that coins/currency have physical space, which tends to get forgotten in games I think.

Thoughts?
Colin

Re: coins as props

Post by Colin »

beermotor wrote:Anyone ever used pennies, nickels, dimes, or quarters as props for in game coins? To help illustrate the rarity of coinage, I was considering bringing a bunch of pennies (cp), nickels (sp), and dimes (gp), and handing them out as starting coins and treasure along the way. Also to remind folks that coins/currency have physical space, which tends to get forgotten in games I think.

Thoughts?
I haven't used normal coins, but I do have a big bag of Campaign Coins (metal fantasy coins in various denominations; I purchased the boxed set I linked to), and a big bag of I-Ching coins to use when playing anything Oriental, such as the Red Tide setting.
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Do your players like it? Do you think it adds to the game or is it annoying?
sheriffharry
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by sheriffharry »

I bought a bunch of simili-Roman Empire coins at a museum exhibition a couple of yeas ago. They were a great success at the gaming table!

Colin

Post by Colin »

beermotor wrote:Do your players like it? Do you think it adds to the game or is it annoying?
Like any prop (be that "aged" maps, tokens, handouts, etc.), we find it adds that little bit more immersion and fun factor to things. A lot of folks are highly visual and kinaesthetic; actually seeing and touching something from the adventure makes it a bit more real, and if nothing else is pretty cool anyway.
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

I think tangible stuff like this is always a plus at the table. Like Colin said just a bit more immersion.

And you can always print out your own oversized coins on card stock or matte photo paper and glue them back to back for campaign specific coinage.

I'm sure they are out there, but I've never had a player that didn't like handouts and props, let alone find them annoying. :)
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to try it with standard coins (I got a ton of separated change just sitting in my closet anyway).

5d12 pennies (!) as starting currency ought to drive home the fact that it's mostly a barter / cashless economy for all but experienced adventurers and nobility.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Colin wrote:I do have a big bag of Campaign Coins (metal fantasy coins in various denominations; I purchased the boxed set I linked to)
Those are really cool! The price seems a little steep (particularly with that extra $9 "to the States" charge), but they are metal and looks like quite a few of them. Must ponder this.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

finarvyn wrote:
Colin wrote:I do have a big bag of Campaign Coins (metal fantasy coins in various denominations; I purchased the boxed set I linked to)
Those are really cool! The price seems a little steep (particularly with that extra $9 "to the States" charge), but they are metal and looks like quite a few of them. Must ponder this.
Yeah, this is why I think using actual (US) coinage is the way to go. Much cheaper. Plus they're smaller, easier to deal with on the table I think.

Also, I didn't like the "denominations" part of that... nobody mints a 1,000 coin copper penny. I understand it's just a token, but I want the sense of space that, for example, 1,000 copper pennies would take up.

"You'll need a wheelbarrow for that, and God help you if you're being chased."
Colin

Post by Colin »

finarvyn wrote:
They are very cool, but yes, they are also expensive. The I-Ching coins, on the other hand, were pretty cheap (though I recommend against the absolute cheapest as those are often wafer thin).

Here's my set of CCs:

And set of I-Ching coins:

Colin
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

My initial thought was to be bummed about the platinum. I tend to focus on copper-silver-gold and the 4th coin type would probably be wasted in my game. :?
beermotor wrote:nobody mints a 1,000 coin copper penny
Good point. I hadn't thought of it that way! :lol:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
bigironvault
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by bigironvault »

The makers of Conquest of the Empire sell extra coinage that works very well and I used them often.

Return to “Judges' Forum”