Patron Pagnyr'Parkus

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, michaelcurtis, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Rostranor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Patron Pagnyr'Parkus

Post by Rostranor »

Folks,
I used the temple encoutner in Kenzer's Little Keep on the Borderlands on my party as a random encounter. Well one of my players decided to make an offering to the Demon when no one was looking and I figured I would write the guy up on the cover of the First Edition PHB as a patron. What do you guys think about the power level of this Patron Invocation?

Invoke Patron:
12-13 Pagnyr’Parkus cares little for the cries of his follower. The passing whim of the demon however allows the invoker to take half damage from all natural or fire based spells for the next d5 hours.

14-17 Pagnyr’Parkus takes minor interest in his follower. A flaming mace appears in the hand of the caster. The head of this mystical mace bursts into flames. When an opponent is struck by this mace the mace does normal damage, plus the target may catch fire and take regular fire damage. The mace also functions as a torch and can be used to ignite flammable objects. The mace lasts for 2d6 turns.

18-19 Upon invoking Pagnyr’Parkus a dark shadow passes over the area of the caster and the smell of brimstone fills the air. All opponents within 100’ of the caster must make a moral check or be intimidated by the obvious favour in which the caster has with his patron.

20-23 A ball of mundane fire appears in the hand of the invoker. This ball may be used to burn a touched victim or hurled at an opponent (Range 20/40/60). When thrown the fireball vanishes on impact and reappears in the casters hand slightly diminished. The first round the fireball is in effect it does 3d6 damage -1d6 per round until it disappears.

24-27 The invoker is filled with the malice of Pagnyr’Parkus. The touch of the invoker is capable of inflicting the touched target with incredible pain. The target must make a Fortitude save (DC15) or suffer the draining effects of the touch of Pagnyr’Parkus. The target will lose 1d4 points of strength on the first round, 1d4 points of Agility on the second, and 1d4 points of Stamina on the third. These points may be used by the invoker for Spellburn within the next 24 hours. The touch of Pagnyr’Parkus lasts for three rounds.

28-29 The Battle Lust of Pagnyr’Parkus. The allies of the invoker within 100’ are bestowed with an insatiable desire to destroy their enemies. For 1d12+CL of the combat all allies within range are affected. Affected allies receive +1D to all attack rolls, +1D to all damage rolls, and are not required to make a moral check. All enemies slain during this time appear to have burn marks around their wounds and their life blood drained away. Any “ally” of a Lawful or Neutral alignment may make a Fortitude save (DC15) to avoid the affect and temporary taint of this demon. Priests of deities automatically may pass.

30-31 A ball of magical fire appears in the hand of the invoker. This ball may be used to burn a touched victim or hurled at an opponent (Range 20/40/60). When thrown the fireball vanishes on impact and reappears in the casters hand slightly diminished. The first round the fireball is in effect it does 5d6 damage -1d6 per round until it disappears. The invoker also calls upon the Battle Lust of Pagnyr’Parkus. The allies of the invoker within 100’ are bestowed with an insatiable desire to destroy their enemies. For the duration of the combat all allies within range are affected. Affected allies receive +1D to all attack rolls, +1D to all damage rolls, an extra action die (d16), and are not required to make a moral check. All enemies slain during this time appear to have burn marks around their wounds and their life blood drained away. Any “ally” of a Lawful or Neutral alignment may make a Fortitude save (DC15) to avoid the affect and temporary taint of this demon. Priests of deities automatically may pass.

32+ The caster has demonstrated his loyalty and ability to be a valuable servant of Pagnyr’Parkus. The caster gains the mundane fireball power at will, but instead of doing normal damage the attack drains the attributes of its target. Roll d3, 1 Strength, 2 Agility, 3 Stamina. The specified stat will suffer 1d4 points of damage per strike. Half of the points drained in this manner may be used for Spellburn within the next 24 hours.
AQuebman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Patron Pagnyr'Parkus

Post by AQuebman »

Looks pretty cool to me, I haven't compared to the core book patrons but I like the flavor and the abilities seem pretty powerful. Have you come up with patron taints yet, i'd be interested to see those?

One note on "The Battle Lust of Pagnyr’Parkus" I don't know that i'd let priests get a pass but maybe they get a bigger bonus to their save or something along those lines? Divine control seems like it should still have a chance to affect them. Then it gives you the opportunity for some Roleplay based on the actions of their deity.

I also think the effect of your 24-27 power is more powerful then your 32+ power. I realize the latter has range but it's effect with the lack of damage doesn't seem as powerful as the earlier ability's effect is.
dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by dark cauliflower »

well, is the drain in #32 permanent or does it have a limited duration? Im not sure about the 24-27, does it have an effect for 3 rounds?
Dark Cauliflower

--from deep night comes the cruciferiouz king!
Rostranor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Rostranor »

no more like involuntary burn.

yes, basically giving three rounds of touch attack.

My main concern was that I dont want patrons and deities to suffer from power creep. Anything I jinn up I want to be flavorfull, but not more or less powerful.

Return to “Judges' Forum”