Alternate Demihuman classes?

Forum for discussing DCC RPG characters, classes, and character-related subjects.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

gambler1650
Ill-Fated Peasant

Alternate Demihuman classes?

Post by gambler1650 »

So, I love the old school feel of the DCC characters, and yet I can't help but wish for a bit more variety in the elf, dwarf and halfling classes.

Examples with no or only generally described mechanics:

Dwarven Cleric: Uses standard dwarf level table, although the Attack bonus does not count as a Deed die (see below). but has more severe restrictions on healing, and spells they can cast. Generally spells are combat oriented and straightforward although causing fear in enemies could also be a staple. Healing can only be done for dwarves, and only if the cleric has seen the character to be healed do something strongly aligned with the god he serves, otherwise they risk their god's disapproval. Perhaps gains an attack bonus against a specific enemy to the dwarven god he serves. Loses Mighty Deeds at Arms and Sword and Board. Therefore the deed die is only used to determine the attack bonus and damage rolls. Can only use melee weapons. In a battle that lasts a certain number of rounds, MUST attempt to attack at least one foe with a weapon and not spells, otherwise their chance of disapproval goes up as for a failed spell check. Additional action dice may be used for either attacks or spell checks.

Elf Woodsman: Better with bow and arrow than a fighter (possibly two attack bonuses, the normal elf one for melee and a higher one for bow and arrows). Ability to easily make natural traps and hunt game or find food/water. Tracking and the ability to hide the party's tracks. Very limited, or even no magical ability. Has ability to befriend animals and even communicate with them to some extent. If able to cast spells, all spells should have something to do with nature or animal summoning.

Halfling Illusionist: Still has the stealth and good luck charm abilities, but loses the two weapon fighting ability. Gains spells as an Elf. Can only use extra action dice for spell checks. Can even create simple illusions without magic (tricks, sleight of hand, sounds, visuals) given enough time. For instance, knows how to create a reasonable facsimile of steps in the woods given a few suspended rocks over fragile branches, and a way to trigger them so they fall sequentially. These simple illusions can't last more than a couple of seconds, but might distract an enemy so that they lose an action die, or in non-combat, go off in a different direction than where they were intending.
Their spells would be only those that trick the enemy or alter their senses, and perhaps some defensive spells, but with either less chance of failure or a bonus in casting due to them being more subtle in nature and especially attuned to halfling natures.
oncelor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Alternate Demihuman classes?

Post by oncelor »

Those rules look good. My kids started their own campaign and didn't quite get the idea that race-is-class; when I asked them who was in their party they included a dwarven cleric and an elven thief. I'm not quite sure how they're handling the rules for this but it seems to be working out for them.
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

Part of the schtick of demi-humans is that because they are stuck with their class they don't get to pick which of X number of options is best for the stats they rolled. i.e. the Elf with 5 INT is still an Elf he doesn't get to ignore his spells and choose to be a Ranger (or whatever) instead. Personally I like it that way; better to make a whole New Class from a whole new race IMHO
Qomannon
Gongfarmer

Post by Qomannon »

In my race-as-class games, regardless of edition version, I tend to modify "demi-humans" to be multi-class variants. That is, in addition to the standard 4 (warrior, priest, thief, sorcerer), the "elf" is a limited combination of warrior-sorcerer; the "dwarf" is a warrior-priest; and the "Halfling" is a warrior-thief.

If the game is more of a "swords & sorcery" vibe, I change them to humans (calling the dwarf a "Templar" and the Halfling a "Scout" or something) and reduce the "demihuman" abilities that just don't fit in that environment (infravision, etc.).

Then again, most games I run lately have simplified it down to Warrior & Sorcerer, lumping thievery into warriors and priest spells into Sorcerer. To keep the dark/gritty flavor, healing magic works just fine in my campaign, but when cast it inflicts partial damage to the Sorcerer casting it. In effect, he absorbs the wounds of others in order to heal (i.e. the wound closes on the target but appears on the caster). That serves to limit healing nicely and keeps to the flavor of a swords & sorcery campaign. Good luck finding a sorcerer willing to heal your wounds without some serious "blood debt" incurred!

-Q
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

Ive never quite got my head around the idea that the default second class for Dwarves should be a Cleric - what suggests Dwarves are particularly religious?

I think the most obvious additional option for demi-humans is a Thiefly type with skills based heavily on race, so mechanical skills are top for the Dwarf, climbing, read languages & scrolls for the Elf etc. with a weapons list eliminating the more clumsy weapons, drop the Dwarf to a D8, and remove the deeds, limit the Elf's magic etc. etc.
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Post by Blood Axe »

Weisenwolf wrote:Ive never quite got my head around the idea that the default second class for Dwarves should be a Cleric - what suggests Dwarves are particularly religious?

I think the most obvious additional option for demi-humans is a Thiefly type with skills based heavily on race, so mechanical skills are top for the Dwarf, climbing, read languages & scrolls for the Elf etc. with a weapons list eliminating the more clumsy weapons, drop the Dwarf to a D8, and remove the deeds, limit the Elf's magic etc. etc.

Dwarves worship the Ancestors, stone, earth, craftsmanship. Rune magic. Seems a good fit to me. But go with what works for you.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

crawl! fanzine number 10

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/133560/Cr ... t_filtered

and

gygax magazine issue 3 (dwarf rune cleric)
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

I'm well aware of the RPG history behind it but I have never understood why. REligious is not a word I would use to describe dwarves it's just one of those RPG conventions which is mostly to fill a 'gap in the market' than anything else. I can't see Thorin and Co with prayer beads :roll:

Return to “Characters”