Serpent Folk Character Class

Forum for discussing DCC RPG characters, classes, and character-related subjects.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Serpent Folk Character Class

Post by finarvyn »

Apologies if there is a thread on this already, but over on therpgsite, a guy named Libertad posted a neat thread for a "Serpent Folk" class for DCC. Folks there seemed to like what he did, so he also (in the same thread) offers a "Deep Ones" class and one for Orcs.

http://www.therpgsite.com/showthread.php?t=25833

I'm not sure how much folks wander over there, so I thought I'd post a link here. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
Relaxo
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Serpent Folk Character Class

Post by Relaxo »

NICE
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

Great ideas but they look overpowered to me. I don't like the Deep One's attack bonus as a being like a fighters.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

cthulhudarren wrote:I don't like the Deep One's attack bonus as a being like a fighters.
Lovecraftian Deep Ones are deadly as all hell--much, much more lethal than a human (even one with a sword). Why wouldn't you use the fighter's attack bonus?
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

Ogrepuppy wrote:
cthulhudarren wrote:I don't like the Deep One's attack bonus as a being like a fighters.
Lovecraftian Deep Ones are deadly as all hell--much, much more lethal than a human (even one with a sword). Why wouldn't you use the fighter's attack bonus?
Because warriors are awesome, they are not just regular schmuck humans. Don't let other classes steal the Warrior's mighty deeds shtick!
Invent something new for Deep Ones.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

cthulhudarren wrote:
Ogrepuppy wrote:
Because warriors are awesome, they are not just regular schmuck humans. Don't let other classes steal the Warrior's mighty deeds shtick!
I am certainly a fan of keeping PC abilities unique to PCs. That said, having one creature in a campaign that mirrors one of any given PC ability is the sort of thing that could put a bit of fear into a player. If it were a campaign with regular skirmishes versus Deep Ones, I'd come up with a different mechanic for them to be awesome. If it's one encounter or one encounter area, I'd be tempted to leave them with the MDoA.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

cthulhudarren wrote:
Ogrepuppy wrote:
Do we really need a new sub-system for every new class? MDoA is fine, it won't make the Warrior less cool, but it does make the Deep One cooler than just a simple brute. Dwarves have MDoA and elves have wizardly magic, and I've yet to see someone complaining about that. Why poor Deep Ones? That's racist.. erm.. racial classist! :)
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.

Return to “Characters”