Druid - draft for review and comments

Forum for discussing DCC RPG characters, classes, and character-related subjects.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Troll_Mage
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Druid - draft for review and comments

Post by Troll_Mage »

I have a player in my group that really loves druids. She loves to run beast classes and/or classes that have pets. Thus I have created a druid class for DCC. Note, while I have used D&D 3.0/3.5 as a baseline for the class features, I have modified them substantially to fit DCC mechanics and flavor as much as possible, including leaving some vagueness for the judge's discretion and open to campaign flavor. I have also streamlined the metamorphosis feature, so the judge/player don't have to deal with "animal/elemental" monster listings each time the druid changes into a wolf, rabbit, hawk, etc., though it may be too simplified.

Here is the intro paragraph,

Druid
Nature is a living cyclical force, life and death, rejuvenation and decay, ever seeking harmony and balance through endless cycles of change and evolution. Law and chaos doesn’t matter, good and evil are mortal concepts that nature is ambivalent toward. It is survival of fittest; nature’s spirit finds a balance between prey and predator, between rising a mountains and erosion, to flood versus desert. As a druid of nature you are a warden of its creatures, a caretaker of the land, and mouth to the silent stones of the mountain. You champion nature against the corrupt manipulations of the divine and the selfish aspirations of the mortal races. Via spirit magic, bestowed by the trees, animals, rivers, seas, and mountains you are charged with applying nature’s primal dogma, empowered to take corrective action by your oath to the spirits. Gaia is the quasi-manifestation of the totality of nature’s spirits. Through Gaia’s intercession the druidic order was created to ensure that balance is maintained and outside influences are mitigated or removed from the primeval cycle. As you climb the ranks of the druidic order, you must prove your worth by the only law that Gaia has set, the survival of fittest - there can be only one grand archdruid.

The rest of the class can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ley ... sp=sharing

Comments, edits recommendations are welcome.

It could use some more spells, anyone have a good source for a few more druid type spells to add to the list?

Thanks
sheriffharry
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Druid - draft for review and comments

Post by sheriffharry »

Great start! 3 to 5 new spells would be a must though.

As for guidance, maybe use the AD&D 1ed Player's Handbook.
In it example of fun spells only available to druids are:
- Pass without traces (level 1)
- Barkskin (level 2)
- Heat Metal (level 2)
- Call Lightning (level 3)
- Summon Insects (level 3)
- Hallucinatory Forest (Level 4)
- Commune with Nature (Level 5)
They would now need to be rewritten DCC RPG style.
(the names are evocative enough, no need to make them exactly similar to their AD&D cousins..)
caveman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by caveman »

In case you want other ideas, here's my super simple Druid. Basically a Neutral Cleric with some wizard spells. Good at animal summoning.

DRUID
Are Neutral avatars of the Wilderness, and human emissaries to Faerie. They read the omens of weather and listen to the words of trees.
Hit Dice 1d8
Level Attack Critical Action Dice 1 2 3 4
1 Wildman +1 1d8/III 1d20 4 0 0 0
2 Whisperer +1 1d8/III 1d20 5 0 0 0
3 Greenman +2 1d10/III 1d20 5 2 0 0
4 Sage +2 1d10/IV 1d20 6 3 0 0
5 Rainmaker +3 1d12/IV d20+d14 6 4 1 0

A caster who rolls a Natural 20 adds their Level to the result a second time.
Failed Spellcheck roll = Increase Disapproval range by one.
1 = Violation of the Natural Order: MISFIRE or DISAPPROVAL
Druids are affected by Iron like Elves and take double the damage die roll.
Add Caster Level to Animal Summoning roll twice.
Druids begin with Animal Summoning & 3 random spells from the Druid list.
Druids may wear armor of leather and animal hide.
Druids may use any simple weapon, as long as they are constructed of exotic materials such as stone, bone or obsidian. A druid is typically armed with a cudgel or quarterstaff.
Druids prefer sickles made of silver for their rituals.
Druids may LAY ON HANDS (but treat all as supplicants as Neutral), and may TURN UNHOLY
Druids are well versed in all things relating to the wilderness: weather, herbs, geography etc

DRUID SPELL LIST Level 1
Animal Summoning
Darkness
Detect evil
Detect magic
Feather Fall
Paralysis
Chill Touch
Resist cold
Second sight
Word of command
Mending
Enlarge
Speak with Animals
Choking Cloud
Burning Hands

Level 2
Shillelagh (as Spiritual Weapon -3), Entangle (as Spider Web -1), SpiderClimb
NJPDX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by NJPDX »

Great ideas. I'm trying to whip up my own Druid for DCC and make it stand out against the Wizard and Cleric classes. I'll try to remember to post my take on this class once I get it ironed out.

Return to “Characters”