Please review my Monk class

Forum for discussing DCC RPG characters, classes, and character-related subjects.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Please review my Monk class

Post by GnomeBoy »

Luck for healing for a Monk??? Now you're talking a language I like the sound of...! 8)
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Hoplitenomad
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Hoplitenomad »

I also wanted to add a little bit of Appendix N as a source for a monk/martial artist:

Yasmina, watching, did not see by what roguery of movement or illusion the man in the green turban avoided the terrible disembowelling thrust. But the keen blade whickered between side and lifted arm, and to Yasmina it seemed that Khemsa merely brushed his open palm lightly against Conan’s bull-neck. But the Cimmerian went down like a slain ox.

Robert E. Howard, ‘The People of the Black Circle’
Hoplitenomad
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Hoplitenomad »

If you go here :http://peoplethemwithmonsters.blogspot. ... urces.html

The author has a ninja class that is well done. We just dropped the thief skills and gave the class 1d8 + level once a day self healing.
dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by dark cauliflower »

I've always had mixed feelings about the monk. It never made sense to me that someone is going to be able to use their fist to beat through plate mail armour. I start to get visions of glowing hands with a fire trail behind them as the swing into combat.

If I were going to have a fist fighter in the game I'd want to take the armour into account when determining damage.
Dark Cauliflower

--from deep night comes the cruciferiouz king!
Hoplitenomad
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Hoplitenomad »

dark cauliflower wrote:I've always had mixed feelings about the monk. It never made sense to me that someone is going to be able to use their fist to beat through plate mail armour. I start to get visions of glowing hands with a fire trail behind them as the swing into combat.

If I were going to have a fist fighter in the game I'd want to take the armour into account when determining damage.

I have had mixed feeling more along the lines of do I wish to mix genres. Do I want chanbarra and wuxia in my " traditional" fantasy worlds. I go back and forth as I like both, but at times feel odd about having Gandalf and Wong Fei-Fong adventuring together.

As for you above statement, it seems you are thinking solely of straight punches and turning kicks. Downward, inner, and outer Hammerfist should be no problem as you can do them now against most hard objects as regular person. I qualified the statement as of course there are some counter examples. The same goes for side, back, hook, and spin kicks. Now, someone he is conditioned could even do it better.

Also, it is a fantasy world where chi real. So, if one can accept wizards and clerics casting magic, warriors with mighty deeds, and thieves and Halflings altering fate by choice, I do not think it is that hard to imagine someone manipulating chi to cause damage and not be harmed by the blow with or without glowing fist.

I am aware that sometimes things come of rougher in the written word than intended and I wish to say that in no way was my reply meant to sound condensing or dismissive of your message.
dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by dark cauliflower »

yeah... the mixing stuff up can be a mind boggler. I just finished Three Hearts and Three Lions and that went from WW2 to a place called the Middle World. Fighting Nazis to fighting trolls! :lol: There's good stories to be had if you can play that the people are out of place in the world. Having the "weird" ones in the game without any sense of out of placeness seemz strange. But it can be good.

I guess if your going to have warriors from Japan in your DCC, I have to ask in what way are you going to make it harder on them?
Dark Cauliflower

--from deep night comes the cruciferiouz king!
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

bill4935 wrote:
GnomeBoy wrote:I notice you fellows are both in favor of 'giving' the Monk the Warrior's MDoA. Meanwhile, I'm not.

Personally, my own personal solution if I wanted to play a Monk would be to play a Warrior with Monk flavoring, but that's just me...
I guess there are two sides to this debate and the official encouragement to "fear no rule" and make the game ours, means each of us are in the right, no matter which way we go.

But GnomeBoy, for what it's worth, I'm on your side. Human and Dwarf Warriors should be the only ones capable of Mighty Deeds of Arms, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a baseless heretic. Shun them! Shun them, I say. :twisted:
I find myself agreeing with Bill for every post in this thread. I would give the martial artist a deed type die for martial artist moves, like trip, knockback or disarm only. And maybe force them to signature deeds only? Have a few signature martial arts type of moves defined and the character can only choose them.

I would give the martial artist some other type of monk like abilities at higher levels, scaling, like speed, healing, paralyzing touch, etc.
Colin

Post by Colin »

I was pondering that rather than have expanding unarmed damage, greater speed, reduced falling damage, ad nauseum hardwired into the Monk class, maybe a better approach would be to have a smorgasboard of Chi Powers that Monks can select from as they advance in level. So, the base class is itself more mundane, but the amazing wuxia-style abilities they can bring to bear are more akin to spells being learned and used in a sense, and that can also make two different Monks quite different in approach (as they would have learned different abilities).

Just thinking aloud.

Colin
Hoplitenomad
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Hoplitenomad »

There was a free WOTC Wuxia game called Dragon Fist that came out years ago. It was bought by Green Ronin and they never developed it. However, a new free version inspired by the game is out called Flying Swordsmen. IMO, it is an improved version of Dragon Fist.

Check it out here at the homepage: http://lordgwydion.blogspot.com/p/flyin ... n-rpg.html

and the game download: http://www.rpgfiles.org/users/lordgwydi ... %20RPG.pdf

It may be useful for ideas, but as a stand alone wuxia game it is pretty awesome.

Return to “Characters”