Movie Paraphrase

Forum for discussing DCC RPG characters, classes, and character-related subjects.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

DimitriX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Movie Paraphrase

Post by DimitriX »

WotC: "You see in our system all of the character levels go to 30. Look, right across the board 30, 30, 30 and.."

DCC: "Oh, I see. And older systems just went up to 10."

WotC: "Exactly."

DCC: "Does that mean it's more epic? Is it any 'epic-ier'?"

WotC: "Well, it's 20 more epic, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most systems, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your character sheet. Where can you go from there? Where?"

DCC: "I don't know."

WotC: "Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?"

DCC: "Put it up to 30."

WotC: "30. Exactly. 20 more epic."

DCC: "Why don't you just make 10 more epic and make 10 be the top number and make that more epic?"

WotC: [pauses and looks confused] "These go to 30."
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Movie Paraphrase

Post by tovokas »

That's funny. :)
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
DimitriX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DimitriX »

Thanks. I posted it over at enworld and the 4e players didn't think it was funny. They're kind of touchy.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

I'll show my movie ignorance.

What is the reference to?
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

JediOre wrote:I'll show my movie ignorance.

What is the reference to?
This Is Spinal Tap

http://youtu.be/EbVKWCpNFhY
tovokas
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by tovokas »

Yeah, it never occurred to me that EVERYONE wouldn't get the Spinal Tap reference. I think I'm getting old. ;)

(But I'm positive if Nigel Tufnel was a gamer, he'd play DCCRPG. Maybe I'll create an adventure built around a miscast shrinking spell and a miniature Stonehenge...)
Jon Marr
Purple Sorcerer Games
purplesorcerer.com
DimitriX
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by DimitriX »

tovokas wrote:Yeah, it never occurred to me that EVERYONE wouldn't get the Spinal Tap reference. I think I'm getting old. ;)

(But I'm positive if Nigel Tufnel was a gamer, he'd play DCCRPG. Maybe I'll create an adventure built around a miscast shrinking spell and a miniature Stonehenge...)
I like that idea! Perhaps the characters hear rumors of a place of immense power that has great magical artifacts buried in a vault under it. Once the characters get there, they realize that the whole things was built by fairies and they're going to have to shrink themselves down to 6 inches tall even get inside.
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by jmucchiello »

DimitriX wrote:Thanks. I posted it over at enworld and the 4e players didn't think it was funny. They're kind of touchy.
That's because it doesn't map perfectly. It also excludes the 3e/pf players who dial up to 20.

But for 4e, 30 is 10 more paragon PLUS 10 more epic than just 10. See the difference there?

And yeah, if you think Spinal Tap is becoming too old to safely reference, try referencing The Rutles: the first rockumentary spoof movie. Come to think of it, where can kids today become trained in Monty Python besides youtube?
phg
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by phg »

jmucchiello wrote:
DimitriX wrote:And yeah, if you think Spinal Tap is becoming too old to safely reference, try referencing The Rutles
Bible punching heavy-weight evangelistic boxing kangaroo.
Talk about a month of Sundays
Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse even Pluto too...
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

jmucchiello wrote:And yeah, if you think Spinal Tap is becoming too old to safely reference, try referencing The Rutles: the first rockumentary spoof movie.
Ah, yes -- a legend that will last a lunchtime...
jmucchiello wrote:Come to think of it, where can kids today become trained in Monty Python besides youtube?
My house?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Characters”