Confused about the highest Patron Bond result

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

K__
Gongfarmer

Confused about the highest Patron Bond result

Post by K__ »

Hello!

I'm a little confused here. When you cast Patron Bond and get the highest result (yay spellburn!), your patron lets you cast Invoke Patron four times a day and two of those castings can be Patron spells.

Two questions:

1. Does that mean that you cast the Patron spells with a new check for that spell (so no bonus to cast, like you'd have for the 32+ result detailed in Patron Bond for Invoke Patron)? Or is it an Invoke Patron check, with the result applied to the Patron spell.

2. Does that mean you can cast those Patron spells of a higher level than you can normally cast (for example, a 1st level Wizard with access to 1st-level spells casting a 3rd level spell)?

Thanks for your help.
Last edited by K__ on Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Confused about the highest Patron Bond result

Post by GnomeBoy »

1) When you cast Invoke, you do so at +2. For the Patron spells, it's a normal spellcheck (no +2). Though your question is a little confusing... it almost sounds like you're wanting to use a spellcasting check twice or something... I'd say each spell needs it's own check, if I understand correctly what you're asking.

2) Different Judges have different takes on casting spells "beyond" your Level... Some consider that since the spell results of higher spells require higher rolls, that is enough of a barrier to casting a 3rd Level spell when you're only 1st Level. Others feel that you can only cast up to the Level appropriate for your Level. Both arguments are valid and it's a matter of taste... You could even take the position that no, you can't cast just any higher Level spell, but you can cast the Patron spell, since the Patron gave you access...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
BanjoJohn
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: there are a few but I dont really consider any of them as my main flgs

Post by BanjoJohn »

1. The way I read it, you can cast "Invoke Patron" at +2, up to four times a day. You also gain two patron spells. Instead of casting invoke patron, you may cast one of the patron spells. Each patron spell can be cast once a day. There is no bonus to cast the patron spell. So you decide to use one of your four "invoke patron" per day, and choose to either cast invoke patron at +2, or one of the patron spells. One spell check.

2. Its up to the judge. I would generally say yeah sure, because its the patron granting extra access to power the wizard would not normally have.
K__
Gongfarmer

Post by K__ »

Thanks everyone!

Return to “Magic and Spells”