Question on how Potions Work

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

TheSwartz
Ill-Fated Peasant

Question on how Potions Work

Post by TheSwartz »

Maybe I'm not understanding how potions work.

Refer to the Laboratory in DCC 69: The Emerald Enchanter with potions of "insert spell name" and listed "CL5". How do these work?

Page 374 in the core book for "Potions" just refers to the "Make Potion Spell" in the magic chapter.

Looking at the Make Potion spell, I always interpreted this as the wizard creates a potion with a general idea, as generated by the spellcheck, and the judge then determines the effect with the Master Potion list giving some specific examples.

But what about a potion of a particular SPELL NAME, such as Potion of Strength, Potion of Levitate, or Potion of Spider Climb? And when it says "CL5" (caster level 5 I presume). This doesn't seem the same as scrolls (see Table 8-11).

Any suggestions? Thanks!
MuscleWizard_716
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Davis Cards and Games

Re: Question on how Potions Work

Post by MuscleWizard_716 »

TheSwartz wrote:Maybe I'm not understanding how potions work...
The text of the make potion spell is pretty straightforward:
The caster creates mystical brews that grant supernormal powers to those who consume them. The result of the spell check determines which kind of potion can be created, as indicated below; each casting allows the caster to choose one potion from the eligible results at his spell check or less.
So no, the judge does not pick the effect when the spell is cast. The caster does, within the range of outcomes determined by his spellcheck (and resources...potions aren't free in terms of time or gold). As far as the CL5 business goes, that is probably telling you the level of the dude who created the potion, which may be determinative of its potency, I dunno.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Question on how Potions Work

Post by Raven_Crowking »

MuscleWizard_716 wrote:As far as the CL5 business goes, that is probably telling you the level of the dude who created the potion, which may be determinative of its potency, I dunno.
Some spell effects rely on knowing the Caster Level.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “Magic and Spells”