Mercurial roll when using a magic item to cast a spell?

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

cavetroll
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Gabi's Olympic Cards & Comics

Mercurial roll when using a magic item to cast a spell?

Post by cavetroll »

I will soon be running my first DCC game! I'll be using a popular funnel module which contains a magic ring that allows any PC to attempt to cast some arcane spells like magic missile. So I'm wondering, should I have the caster roll for mercurial effects? Cuz from the rules, it appears that wizards (and elves?) would normally make their mercurial roll when they learn a new spell, but in this case they're not actually learning a spell, just casting from an item, so I wasn't sure. I realize its my game and I can just make the call myself, but I'm curious if there's a standard or "official" answer. Thanks.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Mercurial roll when using a magic item to cast a spell?

Post by GnomeBoy »

You could decide that the item has an inherent Mercurial effect.

The idea with MM is that you know Magic Missile, I know Magic Missile, and Bob knows Magic Missile -- but we each have a different version under our belts. If Bob teaches his version to Mary, she'll cast it with his MM effect OR with a new effect because she can't quite do it the way Bob does (six-fingered devil that he is...).

I think having a Mercurial effect for an item brings a lot of distinction to an item. It's not run-of-the-mill...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Magic and Spells”