Some new Spells

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

jomacatopa96
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Don't have one

Some new Spells

Post by jomacatopa96 »

I am DMing a game of 5e for some friends and we are having a lot of fun, but the casters and i find the magic system a bit boring and too precise for the magic we had in mind, so I am trying to convert the DCC magic system to 5e. It's not too hard since they both have basically the same stats, health is around the same in both systems up to level 10, so I will have to find a way to solve the beyond level 10 thing (all ideas area welcome).

I was researching for some time and found that there are few spells for DCC which makes sense within the world, why would a wizard share his spells of absolute power?

So I decided to create some, and thought that it would be good to share them with the community so we all have them, and so you could tell me how horribly unbalanced they are. I have to admit that I have stolen many things from other spells so judge my spells and I hope they are of use to you.

Sorry for the english, not my 1st language.

Here are the two spells I have so far:

Curse Thine Enemy

Level: 1 Range: 50’ or more Duration: Varies Casting time: 1 round Save: None

General
The caster utters words from beyond cursing his enemy to failure and pain. This spell requires at least 1 point of spellburn.

Manifestation
Roll 1d4: (1) the wizard’s eyes glow black; (2) a specter flies from the wizard passing through his target; (3) the wizard shoots a ray of black energy at his target; (4) Ningrama’s symbol appears below the wizard with a border of white light.

Corruption
Roll 1d8: (1)the caster gives out a bad vibe making everyone around him angrier; (2) animal and children fear and feel bad around the caster; (3) caster permanently glows with a sickly black aura after casting this spell [1d12 hours]; (4) un-dead are attracted to caster and flock to him like moths; (5-6) minor corruption; (7) major corruption; (8) greater corruption.

Misfire
Roll 1d3: (1) caster shocks himself with necromantic energy for 1d4 damage; (2) caster shocks one randomly determined nearby ally for 1d4 damage; (3) caster sends a blast of energy into the nearest corpse, animating it as an un-dead zombie with 1d6 hit points (if no nearby corpse, no effect).

Lost, failure, and worse! Roll 1d6: (1) corruption + misfire + patron taint; (2-3) corruption; (4) patron taint; (5+) misfire.

2-11
Lost. Failure.

12-13
The caster’s enemy is charged with negative energy! Choose one target and one ability score, target suffers a -2 to all rolls related to that score. Last 1d4 rounds.

14-17
The caster’s enemy is charged with negative energy! Choose one target and one ability score, target suffers a -2 to all rolls related to that score. All attacks coming from you deal +1d6 necrotic damage. Last 1d4+1 rounds.

18-19
The caster’s enemy is charged with negative energy! Choose one target and one ability score, target suffers a -3 to all rolls related to that score. All attacks coming from you deal +1d6 necrotic damage. Last 1d4+3 rounds.

20-23
The caster’s enemy is charged with negative energy! Choose one target and one ability score, target suffers a -4 to all rolls related to that score. All attacks coming from you deal +2d6 necrotic damage. Last 1d6+3 rounds.

24-27
The caster’s enemies are charged with negative energy! Choose two targets and one ability score, targets suffers a -4 to all rolls related to those scores. All attacks coming from you deal +2d6 necrotic damage. Target moves half speed. Last 1d6+3 rounds.

28-29
The caster’s enemies are charged with negative energy! All enemies in a 50’ radius circle from you are targets, choose one ability score, targets suffers a -3 to all rolls related to that score. All attacks coming from you deal +1d6 necrotic damage. For the next hour.

30-31
The caster’s enemies are charged with negative energy! All enemies in a 50’ radius circle from you are targets, choose one ability score, targets suffers a -6 to all rolls related to that score. All attacks coming from you or your allies deal +2d6 necrotic damage. For the next hour.

32+
The caster’s enemies are charged with negative energy! All enemies in a 150’ radius circle from you are targets, choose one ability score, targets suffers a -8 to all rolls related to that score. All attacks coming from you or your allies deal +3d6 necrotic damage. For the next 8 hours.

Call Beyond the Stars

Level: 4 Range: 50’ or more Duration: Varies Casting time: 4 Rounds Save: Varies

General
The caster chants words from beyond the stars calling to a greater power and tearing the veil that separates our world from the one between planes. On a successful casting, the caster may choose to invoke any effect of equal to or less than his spell check, allowing a range of options with every successful casting to produce a weaker but potentially more useful result.

Manifestation
Roll 1d3: (1) the wizard makes a cutting motion in the air and a tear in the air and reality appears wherever the spell was targeted; (2)the wizard crackles with black energy as he shoots at a point in the air from where a portal is open to beyond the stars; (3) the power from beyond the stars tears into reality where the wizard targeted the spell.

Corruption [I have still to create number 3, I have no idea what to put for a summon emrakul sort of thing]
Roll 1d8: (1) the caster’s skin turns black with speckled stars like the firmament at night; (2) the caster sees into the truth of the universe and his mind unravels[+1 WIS, -1 INT](3) -------------(4) a part of the body of a power beyond the stars sprouts in the caster, maybe replacing the old part [Roll 1d8: (1)tentacles replace the lips of the caster having the same skin color; (2)the caster hair turns to long tentacles |see Moon Presence from Bloodborne|; (3) the caster’s upper face [above the nose] is filled with holes, and within those holes are eyes of many colors and types |see Amygdala from Bloodborne|; (4) the caster’s back is filled with holes where hundreds of spiders live, they act like regular spiders and there is 3 swarms worth of spiders; (5) spindly, meatless arms(1d5) of skin and bone sprout from the caster’s side, they are not strong enough to hold things; (6) insect like wings sprout from the caster’s back but no skin is in between the veins, cannot fly with these wings; (7) the caster’s legs are replaced with many tentacles of similar size, this allows for an upright position and swimming speed is now 40’, but land speed is reduced 10’; (8) the caster’s arms are turned to tentacles of similar size allowing to grasp things, the tentacle ends in smaller tentacles replicating fingers] the transformation takes 1d4 weeks; (5-6) major corruption; (7-8) greater corruption.

Misfire
Roll 1d6: (1-2) smaller holes are punctured in reality near all creatures within 50’, including caster, DEX save DC=[15+CL] or suffer 2d6 damage, save for half; (3-5) all allies of the caster, including caster, are attacked by creatures beyond the stars, DEX save DC=[15+CL] or suffer 3d6 damage, save for half; (6) the power beyond the stars don’t like being disturbed a circle of 150’ from the caster is filled with black, acidic, cold tar for 1d6 rounds. The tar halves movement, and causes 1d6 cold damage, 1d6 acid damage and tentacles sprouting from it deal 1d6 damage

Lost, failure, and worse! Roll 1d6: (1) corruption + misfire + patron taint; (2-3) corruption; (4) patron taint; (5+) misfire.

2-11
Lost. Failure.

12-17
Failure, but spell is not lost.

18-19
The Veil is torn! The caster chooses a point within 50’ there an area 40’ in diameter is affected by the rupture, doing 2d6+CL damage (CON save for half) to creatures caught in its area of effect. Affected creatures are also blinded and their movement is reduced by half. Creatures attacking or moving within the area must make a DEX save or slip and be grappled. The Tear closes in 1d4+2 rounds.

20-23
The Veil is torn! The caster chooses a point within 50’ there an area 40’ in diameter is affected by the rupture, doing 3d10+CL damage (CON save for half) to creatures caught in its area of effect. Affected creatures are also blinded and their movement is reduced by half. Creatures attacking or moving within the area must make a DEX save or slip and be grappled. The Tear closes in 1d6+2 rounds.

24-25
The Veil is torn! One target within 50’ of the caster must make a DEX save, against the check, on a fail the creature is pulled by the summoned powers into the tear. The creatures disappears for 2d6+CL rounds and suffers 3d4 damage each round. If the creature dies beyond the stars its body does not return.

26-28
The Veil is torn! Two targets within 50’ of the caster, and 10’ of each other, must make a DEX save, against the check, on a fail the creatures are pulled by the summoned powers into the tear. The creatures disappear for 2d6+CL rounds and suffer 3d4 damage each round. If the creatures die beyond the stars their bodies do not return.

29-33
The Veil is torn! The caster chooses a target within 150’, that creature suffers 10d6 damage as a portal to beyond the stars is opened within it. If the creature would die from that it burst as the tentacles and tar from beyond explode out of its body.

34-35
The Veil is torn! The caster opens a tear in reality before him. A cone 20’ long per caster level and 10’ wide per caster level at its terminus is affected by by the tear. Victims suffer 1d12 damage per caster level with no save.

36-37
The Veil is torn! The caster opens a tear in reality before him. A cone 20’ long per caster level and 10’ wide per caster level at its terminus is affected by by the tear. Victims suffer 1d20+10 damage per caster level with no save (roll 1d20 per caster level, then add 10 x CL).

38-39
The Veil is torn! The caster tears a huge portal beyond the stars that affects an area 100 meters in diameter. In addition to inflicting 6d10+CL points of damage on creatures within the area of effect, the portal transmute crops and animals into monsters |see Emrakul in Innistrad|, whole buildings and town are torn asunder with random shifts in gravity, rivers turned to acid, if near shore tsunamis may happen, all the surface dirt is turn to flesh and the stone to bone, a layer of muscle appears over all the ground and produces other destruction at the judge’s discretion. All this effects start in the center and take 2 minutes to reach the border. The portal lasts for 1 hour per caster level, though it may be closed sooner if the caster is killed.

40+
The Veil is torn! The caster tears a huge portal beyond the stars that affects an area 1 mile in diameter for each level the caster possesses. In addition to inflicting 6d10+CL points of damage on creatures within the area of effect, the portal transmute crops and animals into monsters |see Emrakul in Innistrad|, whole buildings and town are torn asunder with random shifts in gravity, rivers turned to acid, if near shore tsunamis may happen, all the surface dirt is turn to flesh and the stone to bone, a layer of muscle appears over all the ground and produces other destruction at the judge’s discretion. All these effects start in the center and take less than 2 hours to reach the border. The portal lasts for 1 hour per caster level, though it may be closed sooner if the caster is killed.
DM Marcus
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Some new Spells

Post by DM Marcus »

I see this Is your first post so welcome to the DCC community Jomacatoba96.

This game seems to foster creativity in the best way that a RPG can. You'll find folks around here encourage judges to take the DCC rules and fill in the grey areas to suit your own style. Making spells that suit your game is a great way to put your own spin on the game.

Good luck in your games and spell-crafting.

Return to “Magic and Spells”