How do you handle wizards learning spells

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

TriceTheTraveller
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Maximum Distractions, Chicagoland Games, Da Sorce

How do you handle wizards learning spells

Post by TriceTheTraveller »

Apologies if this has been asked and answered I searched the forums but couldn't find anything.

Maybe I'm confusing things but when wizards acquire spells even at first level, they must learn them that seems clear.

But then it says a week per level of spell that they are learning in addition to a quest or service in the learning of it, or finding it.

It seems that would make a lot of attention in the game being spent on simply the Wizards class ability and as far as player attention I'm wondering how any other DM works it into a campaign.

It's clear that there was a lot of thought into this design, so it is in the DM section for a reason, but is this an issue a non issue, if I'm just grabbing a published adventure and would like to move from one to the other, the stories are about action and things going on. Seems that adventurers can get a lot done in the month a Wizard is trying not always succeeding at learning 2 second level spells.

Does the wizard player not play his character? Does the party adventure without him, how is this attractive for a game. Or is this just house-ruled for most of you, as a gentile hand wave.

Or am I missing something.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: How do you handle wizards learning spells

Post by Raven_Crowking »

As a judge, consider this a chance to take cash away from PCs as they must have downtime. And consider it an opportunity to throw hooks out for adventures you wish to run.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

TriceTheTraveller wrote:...then it says a week per level of spell that they are learning in addition to a quest or service in the learning of it, or finding it
If I can read a 500 page novel in a week, I can also read it one page per day, if you catch my drift. The "spell level per week" is a benchmark to judge against, IMO.

• An especially busy week of arduous travel and harrowing adventure may mean little-to-no time to grok that new spell.

• A quiet week healing and relaxing among the Elves of Elvenkeep, you can pick up a spell in 3 days per spell level.

Et cetera.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
bighara
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by bighara »

This is a subject I've been pondering as I've been considering a new DCC campaign.

My current feeling is the random learning of a new spell upon leveling represents a sudden insight due to the culmination of all of the wizard's previous nightly meditations to recharge his spells. When he levels, he experiences a breakthrough and realizes "Hey! If I just say 'abra' THEN 'cadabra', I can shoot fire out of my hands!" To learn a specific spell instead (e.g. from that rubbing of a inscription found in the temple you just looted), the wizard meditates and studies that in particular and learns that magic as opposed to a random enlightenment.

Return to “Magic and Spells”