Starfall aka meteor swarm DCC style

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

xandarr2000
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Black & Read or Atomic Goblin

Starfall aka meteor swarm DCC style

Post by xandarr2000 »

Okay I have begun creating spells for my gaming group. This is the first attempt so please bare with me, I do not claim to be an expert. I tried to make it look similar in flavor to how the spell tables are presented in the main DCC RPG rulebook. Please critique it for me so I can tweek it a bit. The background on this first spell entry, is an old favorite from the OTHER game so many of us cut our teeth on. The spell is meant to be a slightly weaker version of the old Meteor Swarm spell but redone DCC style. My influences were the Colour out of Space as well as Nyarlathotep and the original spell itself. I am currently working on 9 spells for wizards and 11 spells for clerics so hopefully with community input I can get something out there we all like. Here is the shareable link on google drive.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5AxGm ... sp=sharing

Thanks for any input

Chris Bishop
Last edited by xandarr2000 on Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
DM Marcus
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Re: Starfall aka meteor swarm DCC style

Post by DM Marcus »

I think that's really cool. Any suggestions would be subjective and according to tastes I guess.

Seems like the manifestations are all kind of the same, but I guess if it's a star shower, it is what it is. One manifestation could be changed to debris from a falling satellite maybe. That could spice things up if hunks of metal rained down, with strange inscriptions and writing on it. That could open up a whole new can of worms.

And noticed that successes create a certain number of spheres falling. I'm guessing these can all be directed toward separate targets?
xandarr2000
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Black & Read or Atomic Goblin

Re: Starfall aka meteor swarm DCC style

Post by xandarr2000 »

DM Marcus wrote: And noticed that successes create a certain number of spheres falling. I'm guessing these can all be directed toward separate targets?
I tried to keep it closer to the root of the spell it came from in the original format but then put it through the DCC blender of appendix n weirdness. In the original version you can target specific creatures with the spell. However I did not want ALL versions of the spell to allow targeting. I tried to scale it so that in most cases as it gets more powerful the measure of control over targeting gets looser and more out of the caster's control.

Since 5th level spells are where the the penultimate power level of wizards lie in DCC game lie, I wanted it to feel truly epic. I envision if a wizard is casting this spell his group is probably looking for cover somewhere as far away from the wizard as they can get.
DM Marcus wrote: One manifestation could be changed to debris from a falling satellite maybe. That could spice things up if hunks of metal rained down, with strange inscriptions and writing on it. That could open up a whole new can of worms.
I LOVE this idea. Hmm I may end up working it in, with your permission of course in a later revision of the spell. How awesome would it be for this chunks falling from the sky be remnants of Elder worship from an alien planet...perhaps a purple planet??

Return to “Magic and Spells”