Spell Cards

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Spell Cards

Post by finarvyn »

I've been playing 5E some in the game store, and many of the spell-casting character classes have these little spell cards roughly the size of a baseball card or playing card.

I would like to see this concept done by Goodman Games for DCC RPG.

I've talked to many gamers over the years about DCC RPG and they love the game as it's explained to them. They love the artwork. They love the vibe of the game, and its roots in Appendix N. The two issues that always seem to pop up are (1) the funky dice, and (2) the sheer number of tables to reference. Clearly the dice issue is an easy fix, as Goodman offers options and other types can be "faked" as needed by using traditional polyhedral sets. The issue of tables is still out there, however, and is harder to deal with.

I would like to see professionally printed spell cards, each 8.5x11" with one spell on each card. (I'm assuming single-sided since most spells can be done on a single sheet of paper. If we could have double sided each could be half that size.) If they can't be printed professionally, someone needs to go through a decent layout and put together a PDF so that a person can print their own on cardstock.

I know that this is an idea which was discussed years ago, but I thought it was time to revive it. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
stripes
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Spell Cards

Post by stripes »

Try [url]http://peoplethemwithmonsters.blogspot. ... s.html?m=1[/url] scroll down to spells. I don't know if that has them all, or just "most"
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Spell Cards

Post by Gameogre »

DCCRPG's spells are so much .........more than D&D's. It would be harder to do.

That said some quality old school artwork on one side and all the Spell chart information on the other side of a larger (double sized) card would be awesome!

Return to “Magic and Spells”