Spells referencing to D&D?

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

opticslurpee
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: The Game Preserve

Spells referencing to D&D?

Post by opticslurpee »

I'm very new to DCC, and I've just recently started reading through the rulebook and a couple modules. Already I've noticed how the spell system works with tables and whatnot, but also after reading the modules I've come up with a few unanswered questions.

1.In the supplements , new spells (such as Coil) seem to only have one manifestation and no consequences for mis-casting. Are the tables just a part left out in the modules to save paper or is there a reason for this?

2. Kinda in line with the last question, some of the spellbooks you find in the modules contain spells like "Mage armor" and "Arcane eye" which are D&D spells without tables. How are these supposed to work with this game's spell system? Do these not get tables either?

Thanks so much, and go easy on me, I'm a noob!
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: Spells referencing to D&D?

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Can you tell me which modules you have read?
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
opticslurpee
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by opticslurpee »

Curse of the Emerald Cobra, and the Escape from the Forest of lanterns. Curse of the Emerald Cobra details spells like Coil but with no table, and Forest of Lanterns details a spellbook the players can take with spells like Bull's Strength and Alarm, neither of which have tables.
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Those are old modules written for D&D3.5. DCC RPG was only released in June 2012, with Doom of the Savage Kings (#66.5) as the first module in the new line.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
opticslurpee
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by opticslurpee »

Those are old modules written for D&D3.5. DCC RPG was only released in June 2012, with Doom of the Savage Kings (#66.5) as the first module in the new line.
So what kind of things would I need to do to convert the old modules to work with the new rules? What are the main differences I would need to overcome?
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.

Return to “Magic and Spells”