Summoned monsters and the pentacle

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: -

Summoned monsters and the pentacle

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

So as best I've been able to understand, the Monster Summoning spell requires the monster to remain inside the drawn pentacle...is this correct? You basically summon a stationary monster?

Black Kylessa (c) LV 2 Wizard (orphan)
Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Re: Summoned monsters and the pentacle

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Only if the casting roll is below 20. As you can see results above 20 lack the "as long as it remains in the pentacle" part.
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

...so under 20 Summon Monster is of dubious utility. I mean, I guess you could study a monster-in-a-bottle (or pentacle) for the duration, right? I'm having a difficult time imagining other possible usages....

Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Fenris Ulfhamr wrote:...I'm having a difficult time imagining other possible usages....
A few ideas, off the top of my head:

• The 'lobby' of the wizard's tower is inscribed with a pentagram — the monster there summoned can guard the entire entryway...

• Upon a mountaintop, the monster can serve as a look-out. It looks 'native' but the PCs are hiding nearby, not tipping their hand that they are present.

• The monster can guard the camp while everyone focuses on some other task.

You'll notice it doesn't say how big a pentacle can be... Nor does it limit the intelligence of the monster. It also must be a monster native to the plane where the spell is cast... that could mean you could gather information about the plane you are on (e.g., you get ambushed by a bunch of Kith as you arrive on The Purple Planet; using the remains of the slain Kith, you summon one and try to drag information out of it...).

It also means that if the Wizard specifically wants a free-roaming monster, he's got to be prepared to Spellburn or Luck Burn to get it... :twisted:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

You may also wish to avail yourself of the monster's special abilities.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Research makes sense, but for whatever reason, my brain demanded a tiny pentacle that constrained the monster to just stand in place (perfect for study), but room or courtyard-sized pentacles would be indeed possible as the spell is worded. Thanks for unsticking my brain!

GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Glad to be of service. :D
Raven_Crowking wrote:You may also wish to avail yourself of the monster's special abilities.
True.

Also, you say you need the venom of some deadly beast? Might be easier to deal with one trapped in a magic circle, than to find and deal with one in the wild.

There's plenty of potential...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
VladtheLad
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by VladtheLad »

Components for Make Potion spell. Those dragon scales dont grow on trees you know!
Though the fun fact is that you will need some part from a dragon summon him.
morrism
Gongfarmer
FLGS: lihuk store

Post by morrism »

Is the venom effective than using weapons? What about the dragons? Will the dragons blow too much fire to fight with the opponents?

Return to “Magic and Spells”