Shield Maiden

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Zargon
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Shield Maiden

Post by Zargon »

Here is a spell that has an interesting story to tell... and some explaining to do. :)

The general information provides that Sezrekan discovered a tomb of warrior maidens and struck a pack with the spirits permitting him to summon each of them once. (This seems peculiar, under what condition would a Valkyrie (or shield maiden if you prefer) surrender their will and succomb to a terrible contract of the soul? Whatever the author had in mind, I would like to know. :) )

In addition, we find that at 34+ the Shield Maiden appears astride a pegasus. To which I can only imagine the Pegasus would immediately throw itself upon the evil wizard and trample him until he breathed his last, or the proud steed was vanquished. (They are LG, and lore has it, attack evil on sight!) What is a judge to do? If I concede that the Shield Maiden is soul bound to serve the supplicant of Sezrekan, must I also further my understanding to assume the Shield Maiden dominates the will of her steed, and prevents the death of the evil wizard? Or is there a constant stream of tension between the proud pegasus and the evil will of the wizard, tension which could erupt at any moment whereupon the hooves of law and order pummel upon a wicked skull as the gavel condemns the witch to burn?

Would it not seem the more likely, that the Pegasus should be a Nightmare, and the Shield Maiden a Dark Knight? The world is adrift in ironies I know, but even the tides of Chaos contain some meaningful secrets, secrets which must be shared among those who seek them...
Fables of the Borderlands - #1 DCC campaign on Obsidian Portal!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Shield Maiden

Post by GnomeBoy »

...What's "Lawful Good" again? :wink:

If you're layering "old lore" on this game, more power to you — but yes, you may need to re-define the Maidens and steeds into something else.

Another option is to fill in the blanks in new and interesting ways. Maybe after the Shield Maidens' service, they get to take another crack at whatever put them in that tomb... And maybe the pegasi are bent to the will of the Maidens, or have made their own pact, with it's own possibilities... :twisted:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Zargon
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Zargon »

Something to think about, and that much I have done.

I think further renditions of this spell will utilize a summoned being that mirrors the heart and soul of the caster. And as it stands in my current campaign the caster will relish the slave to which he is bequeathed by the devil that is patron to the spell, but the pegasus is not subject to the cruelty of the master's contract, and once the shield maiden returns to dust, the proud steed will trample the foul fool who once dared claim dominion over such an immortal paragon of law and justice. :)

P.S. If there is more to the story behind this spell, Mr. Goodman, I shall be happy to hear of it...
Fables of the Borderlands - #1 DCC campaign on Obsidian Portal!
neilbrown
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Netopia

Post by neilbrown »

Shield-maiden was a woman who had chosen to fight as a warrior alongside men in Scandinavian folklore and mythology. Shieldmaidens also appear in sagas such as Hervarar saga ok Heiðreks and in Gesta Danorum. Shieldmaidens also appear in stories of other Germanic peoples: Goths, Cimbri, and Marcomanni. I love its character of course being a warrior despite of its gender.
Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: -

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

Also a thing to note with summons that is oft forgot is that the creature isn't necessarily willing. A goodly (but daring) wizard could bind devils he defeated and force them to his will, as could (and does) an evil necromancer with the unwilling souls he may use in reanimation. Lore in other modules suggest Sezrekan was once a paragon of Law. He may grant such spells now out of a sense of twisted ownership of the maidens...

Black Kylessa (c) LV 2 Wizard (orphan)
Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)

Return to “Magic and Spells”