Light spell?

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

CapnHowdy
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Light spell?

Post by CapnHowdy »

Am I missing it?

No first level wizard/cleric light spell?

Isn't that standard old-school magic?
aesdana
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Light spell?

Post by aesdana »

Maybe because a Light spell in DCC would have quickly ended (with a high roll, 21+) with the party having a lot of continual light objects, ruining the fun of exploring dangerous dark places.

Others say it better then me : check dungeon of signs or goblin punch for instance.

Or you can see it otherwise : it's by purpose that DCC spell lists do not include much utilitarian spells at low levels. You have to be a very powerful wizard for instance (5th level : a learned genius by DCC standards see p359) to be able to breathe water or fly.

And even then, due to the reduced amount of spells known, your wizard may not wish to learn them when s/he has the possibility.
Rick
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: Gateway Games & More

Post by Rick »

First paragraphs in the Magic chapter (page 106 DCCRPG core rule book)
Magic comes from gods and demons who are capricious and unconcerned with your character’s fly speck of a life. Those who would use magic are best served to always have a backup plan.

Summoning magical energies is arduous, expensive, and dangerous. No wizard does it lightly. As a result, there are no mundane magics, no spells used simply to light a corridor, for example. Use a torch, fool; it is much safer!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Yeah, are you going to gamble your physical body, and maybe your soul, when torches and candles are available? :wink:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
CapnHowdy
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by CapnHowdy »

That all makes sense.

Thank you all!
Ravenheart87
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ravenheart87 »

Light shouldn't be mundane, and neither almighty lightsource spell. There is a place for it to burn undead, dispel supernatural darkness, blind stygian creatures. A wizard learned a light spell in my Terminus campaign, although he rarely used it because of the possibility of failure. Still, it was very useful when fighting two vampire lords in their penultimate adventures. I didn't write up a seperate spell though, I used it as a reversed version of Darkness (see page 106, Reversing spells).
Vorpal Mace: a humble rpg blog with some DCC-related stuff.
cjoepar
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by cjoepar »

Ravenheart87 wrote:... I didn't write up a seperate spell though, I used it as a reversed version of Darkness (see page 106, Reversing spells).
Very nice solution.
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

I'm glad it isn't there; it makes infravision genuinely useful rather than the redundant advantage which it became in D&D
Weisenwolf
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Weisenwolf »

Weisenwolf wrote:I'm glad it isn't there; it makes infravision genuinely useful rather than the redundant advantage which it became in D&D
At a push you could use Cantrip of course....

Return to “Magic and Spells”