Saving Throws

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

atlascott
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Saving Throws

Post by atlascott »

With the existence of spell modifiers, bless spells and spell burn, a wizard can often and at little cost ensure that the save against their spell effect is 25, 27, or even higher.I have had third level wizards under the effect of a great bless spell cast by the cleric get results as high as 30.

this gives spell casters access to low level spells which make them almost unstoppable.

I am considering testing a house rule that provides that on a natural roll of 20, the creature making a saving throw rolls a D 20, adding the result to the first result.

For example, if the saving character has a +2 to their will saves and they roll a natural 20, and on their second d20 roll they roll a 5 their total for purposes of that saving throw would be 27.

this enhances the fickle nature of magic and gives non spell casters a fighting chance against buffed spell casters.

anyone tried anything like this? Thoughts?
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Saving Throws

Post by GnomeBoy »

There was just a discussion of this on the G+ DCC group.

Many of us felt that the base result without Spellburn, Luck and etc. was what set the DC. So if you roll a 12 and your normal baseline bonus is +3, the Save DC is 15.

There were other suggestions and perspective, as well.

Hopefully, this link will work: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+OliverKorp ... Sqj?cfem=1
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
oncelor
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by oncelor »

For my next DCC campaign I'm working on a new saving throw table that will make the saving throw progression similar to B/X D&D. I've also found that casters' spell DC's increase by level much faster than the rate at which saving throws against those spells increase by level and HD. I think I prefer the old school way in which it generally became easier to save against spells as characters increased in level, not harder. I'll post my home-rules once I figure out a good way to do that.

We play that a creature automatically saves on a roll of a 20, and that if you roll a natural 15, say, you can burn 5 Luck to turn this into a natural 20 on your saving throw.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

oncelor wrote:...I think I prefer the old school way in which it generally became easier to save against spells as characters increased in level, not harder...
So, I take it, you have NPC Wizard built with PC Classes. Would it be more expedient to just set a cap for NPC's Spell DCs to get the progression you want?
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Magic and Spells”