ire of gods

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

ire of gods

Post by catseye yellow »

how do you go for it in your campaign? what is appropriate luck penalty for someone stacking herself with magic items?
Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: ire of gods

Post by Pesky »

Depends on the items. Did she make them herself? How powerful are they? What are their purposes? How threatened would super-natural beings be with these items in her possession?
Terry Olson
cjoepar
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by cjoepar »

catseye yellow wrote:how do you go for it in your campaign? what is appropriate luck penalty for someone stacking herself with magic items?
I haven't needed to do this, but I guess I would make the penalty small at first, but then gradually increase it with each gaming session until the character finally decided that the penalty outweighed the benefits of having the magic items. I would also not tell the character what was causing the bad luck - I'd let them figure it out on their own.

One of the most difficult transitional aspects for me, going from 3E to DCC has been to restrain myself from giving out too much magic. In my 3E games, by the time a character is level 5-7, they have a handful of magic items, including possibly one really nice one. I would like to have the same thing happen in DCC (haven't seen a character live past 3rd level yet), but the level progression is much, much slower than 3E, so that means that I have to really scale back what they find. I also allow my characters to cast ritual versions of spells which take much longer (like all day) and grant a bonus to the spellcheck. In these versions, they also get bonuses to the spell checks if they sacrifice money or magic items, so there has been a steady trickle of magic items towards the recycling bin as the party's main cleric keeps trying to maximize his bonuses when casting Detect Magic between adventures so they can identify what they find. This has helped me keep the number of items down in my game. I have also minimized the monetary rewards, so a few characters have sold magic items to finance better armor.
Borrowed_Thyme
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Borrowed_Thyme »

catseye yellow wrote: One of the most difficult transitional aspects for me, going from 3E to DCC has been to restrain myself from giving out too much magic. In my 3E games, by the time a character is level 5-7, they have a handful of magic items, including possibly one really nice one. I would like to have the same thing happen in DCC (haven't seen a character live past 3rd level yet), but the level progression is much, much slower than 3E, so that means that I have to really scale back what they find. I also allow my characters to cast ritual versions of spells which take much longer (like all day) and grant a bonus to the spellcheck. In these versions, they also get bonuses to the spell checks if they sacrifice money or magic items, so there has been a steady trickle of magic items towards the recycling bin as the party's main cleric keeps trying to maximize his bonuses when casting Detect Magic between adventures so they can identify what they find. This has helped me keep the number of items down in my game. I have also minimized the monetary rewards, so a few characters have sold magic items to finance better armor.
I like the idea of sacrificing treasure to gain bonuses to spell checks, but I can see PCs going down the spellburning route instead...

How do you handle non monetary rewards? I can see them working for a bit (and making a lot of sense in a feudal world), but after a while I can see PCs wanting to sell the various things that they acquired if only to avoid dragging it all around with them.
'It's going to bite me, isn't it?'

Return to “Magic and Spells”