force manipulation & damage

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

likeluke
Ill-Fated Peasant

force manipulation & damage

Post by likeluke »

hey everyone, glad to be on the forums!

i'm currently playing a level 2 wizard whose main offensive spells are magic missile and scorching ray (i was able to obtain this pre-lvl 3 through some cool magic nonsense), which are both very solid spells, BUT i realized recently that force manipulation's lowest result is potentially fairly OP.

the lowest result (12-13 spell check) on FM:
The caster creates an apple-sized sphere of force that can be hurled as a weapon. It can be hurled immediately or remain in the wizard’s hand for up to one round per caster level. It inflicts 1d6 damage per caster level with a range of 25’ per caster level.
the lowest result (12-13) on magic missile:
The caster throws a single missile that does 1 point of damage. He must have line of sight to the target.
The missile never misses, though it may be blocked by certain magic (e.g., magic shield).
lowest result (14-15) on scorching ray:
One target takes 1d6 + caster level damage. Additionally, it must make a Reflex save vs. spell check or catch fire. Each round thereafter it suffers an additional 1d6 damage until it succeeds on a DC 15 Reflex save to extinguish the fire. Flammable objects on the target (e.g., scrolls or tomes) have a 75% chance of catching fire unless protected.
my wizard is currently rolling with a +4 bonus to his spell checks (level 2 and +2 int. modifier), which means for the lowest result on a level 1 spell i need to roll an 8, and if i roll anything higher with force manipulation i can CHOOSE the lower result. clearly, 2d6 damage at level 2 is no joke, and it goes up a full d6 every level while the spell check goes down. totally amazing/insane!

the one way that i can see it being slightly less broken is in the language used: "...that can be hurled as a weapon". this could imply that the caster needs to make an additional attack roll after making the spell check, since other spells like MM clearly state that it is unerring, and that's slightly less clear on FM.

what are yall's thoughts on this? any experience with it? was this maybe an intentional exploit? maybe i shouldn't say anything and just party on, blasting away with my force spheres? 8)
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: force manipulation & damage

Post by GnomeBoy »

I'd say it involves an attack roll, based on the wording. And given that that is the one damaging option of FM, Magic Missile is superior overall for causing damage.

Also, not all spells are created equal. The baseline intention is that you don't just get to pick and choose which spells you have, though I'm sure plenty of people play it that way.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
likeluke
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by likeluke »

GnomeBoy wrote:I'd say it involves an attack roll, based on the wording. And given that that is the one damaging option of FM, Magic Missile is superior overall for causing damage.

Also, not all spells are created equal. The baseline intention is that you don't just get to pick and choose which spells you have, though I'm sure plenty of people play it that way.
yeah, that's what i'm going with as well re: attack roll. and you're right, of course 2d6 isn't as solid as most of MM's results, my main concern is just with a relatively high damage for a pretty easy roll. but adding the attack roll evens that out IMO!

also re: spell selection, random spell selection is def the way to go. it forces you to play in a more versatile fashion. with that in mind, it makes sense that FM would have that proportionately nice offensive capability, in case a player ends up with nothing but non-offensive magic.
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

Definitely require an attack roll!
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

GnomeBoy wrote:I'd say it involves an attack roll, based on the wording. And given that that is the one damaging option of FM, Magic Missile is superior overall for causing damage.
Wise GnomeBoy is.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

JediOre wrote:Wise GnomeBoy is.
*plucks hair from Yoda-like ears*
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Magic and Spells”