spellburn & patrons

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

spellburn & patrons

Post by catseye yellow »

i really love patron spellburn tables because they reinforce the feeling that wizard is actually offering part of himself to some outside party. but what about patronless wizards? has anyone made similar, unpredictable, table for them?
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: spellburn & patrons

Post by Gameogre »

Never had a Patron-less wizard! Good Lord Man! the power and abilities they would give up!

I'm trying to think of a reason to not have a patron.......nope can't think of any!

I guess if it happened I would indeed just make up a chart for him,I would also make up another chart for dealing with other Wizards that he had to roll on so I would know what name they would call him! Patonless Nancy, Go it alone Marcy,Who wants Power Marven.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

There is a general table on Page 109, but there is no reason to stop there!

In Silent Nightfall (Purple Duck), there is an entity that will grant spellburn even for those who are not patron bonded to it. See also the Wampler in the Spellburn.com "Dungeon Denizens" section. If you have access to In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (Mystic Bull), examine the adventure, Icon of the Blood Goddess.

I would strongly encourage judges to create entities that can affect spellburn (and other aspects of spellcasting), either locally or globally. That is fully in keeping with the spirit of the rules, and the guidelines in the core rulebook!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
catseye yellow
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by catseye yellow »

thanks guys! i'll do that for my next 'campaign'.
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

There needs to be a lot more writeups for patrons who are not blatantly evil. But it's a lot more difficult to come up with ideas for 'good' wizards.
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

Well,good is hard to do in dccrpg and still keep the style. How about instead lawful? something like a demanding stern force for Law who expects unwavering discipline and exacts harsh punishments for those who falter.

This Lord of Law indeed always seeks to overthrow Chaos and purge the universe of the flawed taint of its reek.
Cthulhuoid
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Cthulhuoid »

I think it is setup correctly, how patrons are basically an evil, malevolent, or insidious source of black magic. As the magic is decribed, there are many kind of magic, most are like this. It does touch upon a fairer kind of magic, but I think those are usually independent hedge wizards that are lower powered - operating on some high principal. Having a patron for it may be more limiting, or possibly dirived from a natural element/spirit world.

I think that clerics are the balance for a "good/light" higher source of magic; from my perspective. In the end, IMHO for DCC, you play a Wizard to be a practicioner of dark arts, a Cleric to be one of light. But, that's just my feel of the game.
Judge Roy Snyder
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Lavarial, Angel of Light, in Angels, Daemons, & Beings Between is an angel.

Belshar of the Five Eyes, on my blog, might be suitable for a good wizard. In the Peter Jackson movies, Rhadagast the Brown has clearly taken Radu as his patron.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

double post
Last edited by Raven_Crowking on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
SoBH pbp:

Pesky
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Pesky »

The Three Fates are also an appropriate patron for those devoted to "Law" and/or "Good".
Terry Olson
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

Raven_Crowking wrote: Belshar of the Five Eyes, on my blog, might be suitable for a good wizard.
I could not find it on your blog.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Raven_Crowking »

cthulhudarren wrote:
Raven_Crowking wrote: Belshar of the Five Eyes, on my blog, might be suitable for a good wizard.
I could not find it on your blog.

http://ravencrowking.blogspot.ca/2013/1 ... -eyes.html
SoBH pbp:

ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

Gameogre wrote:Well,good is hard to do in dccrpg and still keep the style. How about instead lawful? something like a demanding stern force for Law who expects unwavering discipline and exacts harsh punishments for those who falter.

This Lord of Law indeed always seeks to overthrow Chaos and purge the universe of the flawed taint of its reek.
This one is half-baked, and I really need to go back and rewrite it now that it's been playtested a bit:

Cherek is good and lawful to the extreme.

http://mysticbull.pbworks.com/w/page/47249832/Cherek
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
Cthulhuoid
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Cthulhuoid »

Yeah it was late for me when I wrote that post; I admit I was speaking too generally.
Judge Roy Snyder

Return to “Magic and Spells”