new spell, "Madness"

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

ccy
Far-Sighted Wanderer

new spell, "Madness"

Post by ccy »

Hi folks. I made my first spell, loosely based on AD&D's "Confusion" spell.

See it here.

Comments & criticism welcome.
Last edited by ccy on Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Re: new spell, "Madness"

Post by Skyscraper »

Nice, very flavorful. I like the different dementiae that you propose and their effects.

I'm unsure about the 36-37 effect of the spell: "lunacy". It sounds almost like a misfire to me. Wouldn't you want to propose it as such?
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.
ccy
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: new spell, "Madness"

Post by ccy »

I changed that effect level's name (back) to "PANDEMONIUM!!!" lol. And that got me going...
Skyscraper wrote:I'm unsure about the 36-37 effect of the spell: "lunacy". It sounds almost like a misfire to me. Wouldn't you want to propose it as such?
Actually, no. It's loosely patterned after the top-level effect for "Sleep" (p 160, "Natural slumber to all things", can "last for 100 years", affects "friend and foe", "only powerful magic" can end sooner - and that's a first level spell!). There are other examples of indiscriminate spell effects / unintended consequences.

So, I very much want there to be a gonzo, indiscriminate effect around that level; fits w/a "Madness" spell IMO, & I figured the top effect would be to select one of Mania/Idiocy/Catatonia and apply it to a whole lot of baddies. The second best then, is a sort of game-ending neutron bomb of insanity.

I do hear you, however. I think the real problem is my laziness, leaning on previous effects instead of breaking new ground. So, click here for the new spell description. Here's the revised effect in question (spell check 36-37... keep in mind getting a check that high is non-trivial):
  • PANDEMONIUM!!! All creatures (friends & foes) within wizard's sight / earshot are afflicted! Effect will depend on their Will save:
    makes save: stupefied for d6 rounds, can't believe eyes and ears; can save (again) to “snap out of it” if attacked, rousted, etc.
    save total 34+: sings nonsense gobbledygook ("La la la! La la-la La! La la la la-la la-la la!") for 2d4 (10 minute) turns. If attacked, screams and runs. When done, collapses and sleeps for d4 hours.
    save total 30+: can't stop laughing for a turn (10 minutes); DC5 Fort save at end of turn - miss and you die laughing, make it and you pass out for 3d6 turns. If attacked, keeps laughing.
    save total 25+: orgiastic frenzy for 3d6 turns. Keep it “PG” rated, folks. If attacked, treat as "mania" below.
    save total 20+: wanders around picking the (imaginary) flowers for 2d4 hours, making little wreaths and flower necklaces, quietly mumbling to self. If attacked, weeps piteously.
    save total 15+: mania, attacks nearest (unluckiest) creature bare(handed), doing subdual damage (if appropriate, if natural weapons then full damage). Fights back if attacked at +2 to hit, -4 AC. Collapses into a deep sleep after 4d6 rounds and sleeps 2d4 hours.
    save total 10+: dances uncontrollably for (Stamina) rounds, then drops and sleeps for 3d6 hours. If attacked, can't fight back, but is +2 AC (hard to hit).
    save total under 10: thinks (s)he is a harmless forest creature for d6 days. If attacked runs like a frightened deer.
    save natural 1: permanent catatonia; see "Catatonic" above.

Return to “Magic and Spells”