Need advice with magic and stuff for current game.

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

themightyeroc
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Need advice with magic and stuff for current game.

Post by themightyeroc »

So I have a single Wizard in the group. He is 2nd level, about halfway to third. We just started "The Emerald Enchanter" and he is drooling at the possibility of getting spells etc.

1) He recently asked me about his character being able to create his own scrolls of spells he already has. My answer was since it had been a few weeks downtime for the PC let's roll a D3 for how many you made. He rolled 2, so I let him choose which two spells he knows that he wanted to write scrolls for. I charged him 10gp per level for materials and had him roll on Table 8-11: Scroll Casting Mechanism. I told him this represents how well you did at writing it down.

I don't give them lots of gold, so the 20gp hit his pocket hard. Overall I think for off the cuff it was a pretty good call.

2) He also asked about purposely casting a spells misfire effect. In this case he wanted to replicate the misfire effect #1 for Magic missile where it hits everyone within 100' with 1d4-1 missiles of 1pt. each. I told him the problem is your PC doesn't really know "what" he did wrong in the first place so to replicate the effect would be highly impossible.

3) Once a Wizard chooses a Patron, do you only roll on the patron chart for Spellburn? Or is it only the Patron spellburn chart when invoking that patrons aid in doing something?

I'm sure there was more but I'll add them later.
Ah well, who wants to live forever? DIE!
worldoferoc.blogspot.com
reverenddak

Re: Need advice with magic and stuff for current game.

Post by reverenddak »

1. You may have been too easy on him, because you need to be 5th level, and have the 3rd level spell, Write Magic, to create scrolls (pg 364). But it's too late now, and it's best to consistent over judgement calls like that.

2. Good call. Keep it random, if he wants to purposely misfire, make him roll and suffer the consequences...

3. Keep it flexible. The Spellburn tables are just suggestions, they can pick whatever they want. But if the spell has anything to do with their patron, like casting patron spells, make _sure_ that the spellburn is from their patron's spellburn table.
Reverend Dakota Jesus Ultimak, S.S.M.o.t.S.M.S., D.M.

(Dungeon) Master In Chief of Crawl! fanzine. - http://www.crawlfanzine.com/

"[...] there is no doubt that Dungeons and Dragons and its imitators are right out of the pit of hell." - William Schnoebelen, Straight talk on Dungeons & Dragons
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

reverenddak wrote:...But it's too late now, and it's best to consistent over judgement calls like that...
It is good to be consistent, but at the very least, point out where things went wrong. And take the option to say this mistake only stands for this character or for this campaign, if he's not willing to give up the ability -- you are just learning the game, mistakes and misreadings are going to happen.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
themightyeroc
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by themightyeroc »

reverenddak wrote:1. You may have been too easy on him, because you need to be 5th level, and have the 3rd level spell, Write Magic, to create scrolls (pg 364). But it's too late now, and it's best to consistent over judgement calls like that.

2. Good call. Keep it random, if he wants to purposely misfire, make him roll and suffer the consequences...

3. Keep it flexible. The Spellburn tables are just suggestions, they can pick whatever they want. But if the spell has anything to do with their patron, like casting patron spells, make _sure_ that the spellburn is from their patron's spellburn table.

Whoah! good catch for me there on #1. Totally missed that! I will let him know those were actually scrolls from his dead master, and he can lie to the rest of the party about writing them. Easy fix, and this will give him something to Quest for.

I'm sticking with the way I ruled on #2

Man, I really need to invest in a PDF of the core book. Or I need to make a Spellburn chart for the player so he can roll on it himself. I try to keep shuffling through the Rulebook to minimum at the table but the Wizard and Clerics make it hard..... :(

ThanKs Guys!
Ah well, who wants to live forever? DIE!
worldoferoc.blogspot.com
Skyscraper
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Skyscraper »

For the scrolls, you can rule that he bought them and simply follow the rule (i.e. he'll need Write Magic next time).
Maledict Brothbreath, level 4 warrior, STR 16 (+2) AGI 7 (-1) STA 12 PER 9 INT 10 LUCK 15 (+1), AC: 16 Refl: +1 Fort: +2 Will: +1; lawful; Armor of the Lion and Lily's Blade.

Brother Sufferus, level 4 cleric, STR 13 (+1) AGI 15 (+1) STA 11 PER 13 (+1) INT 10 LUCK 9, AC: 11 (13 if wounded, 15 if down to half hit points), Refl: +3 Fort: +2 Will: +3, chaotic, Robe of the Faith, Scourge of the Maimed One, Darts of Pain.

Return to “Magic and Spells”