How does Magic Work? (Reddit)

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

gmgeoff
Ill-Fated Peasant

How does Magic Work? (Reddit)

Post by gmgeoff »

Thought this was a great conversation:
http://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/17 ... rk_in_dcc/
viruswithshoes
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: How does Magic Work? (Reddit)

Post by viruswithshoes »

Thanks for the link, I don't know how I missed this as I'm a regular lurker of /r/rpg.

So what's the consensus on Clerics learning new spells? I think I saw a thread around here about that...

I went with random rolls similar to Wizards. One of my cleric players has a spell he's not crazy about, I'm considering letting him beseech his god (Cthulhu!) for a new one.
cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

I spend too much time on reddit.
cjoepar
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by cjoepar »

viruswithshoes wrote:...
So what's the consensus on Clerics learning new spells? I think I saw a thread around here about that...

I went with random rolls similar to Wizards. One of my cleric players has a spell he's not crazy about, I'm considering letting him beseech his god (Cthulhu!) for a new one.
I have them roll randomly, then if they want one they didn't roll up they can petition their deity to be able to replace one. Of course, the deity usually has something that needs done...
caveman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by caveman »

This may be a good place to note that I played a short spell duel for the first time last night, and it was cool. Basically, the Wizard in the party tried to Force Shield the Necromancer's spell and we did opposing rolls, the Necromancer won, and forced his way through, causing the Wizard's spell to fail.
There was a bit of a question about the action economy of it. On his turn, he knew the wizard was casting another spell, but he wen ahead with his own spell first in initiative. I think next time I'll rule you have to wait for it.

Return to “Magic and Spells”