More spells? Would you support a SpellBook for Kickstarter?

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

More spells? Would you support a SpellBook for Kickstarter?

Post by Blood Axe »

DCC RPG has the basics pretty well covered, but more spells would be really cool. I was thinking that a Spellbook would be a great idea for a Kickstarter or something along those lines.
Lots of spells & ideas in other game books, but no nifty charts or DCC RPG details. The D&D Spell Compendium has hundreds of neat spells, if you own that little gem.
Most spells are a single page or page and a half.

Im surprised no one has started this project. What would you like to see? Would you support a project like this?
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Re: More spells? Would you support a SpellBook for Kickstart

Post by Raven_Crowking »

If you do, I would support Indiegogo, which takes PayPal.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Blood Axe »

Is Indiegogo different from Kickstarter? In what ways? I have supported projects from both.
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Blood Axe wrote:Is Indiegogo different from Kickstarter? In what ways? I have supported projects from both.
They are similar, but my understanding is that Indiegogo accepts PayPal, whereas Kickstarter requires you to use a credit card. I could be wrong, though.
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
Relaxo
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Relaxo »

One difference I'm aware of is that Indegogo charges you immediately, not after the projects funds, like KS does. So you can kickstart a KS project 'risk free' until it's funded, then poof, you pay then (automatically).

It might be my mistake and that's just how the project runners set it up, but I think this is hardwired into IGG and KS.

KS I pay thru Amazon payments, so that links to a Credit Card, but of course my bank/ATM card functions as a CC so it's the same as PayPal in that way (unless you want to use your PayPal balance, but of course, you could transfer it to your Bank acct first...)

Clear like mud? :D
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

I looked through the d20 SRD and found material for about 19 spells that aren't already covered by spells in DCC, rendered useless by changes in basic assumptions, or replaced by the "quest for it" mentality.

Doing so made me realize that I don't want more spells converted over from D&D, I've got that handled - so in order to gain my interest a spell book project would have to involve a large number of spells of various levels (mostly those other than 3rd level) and would have to be genuinely interesting spells that do something new and interesting, rather than spells which fill out the generic rank and file of what is "missing" from DCC (i.e. no spells that are just new elemental damage attacks, no spells that are "like Strength, but for this ability score instead!", no spells that duplicate the effects of things not brought in from the SRD, and no spells that impinge upon the territory of things better left for a quest.)
dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by dark cauliflower »

I don't know. Part of me looks at how variable the spellz are now, there's always something new to be generated for them. All I can say is put something interesting together and stick it out there. That or make a cheap pdf and put it on rpgnow, lulu, etc... .
Dark Cauliflower

--from deep night comes the cruciferiouz king!
Crimsontree
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Crimsontree »

I wouldn't be interested. I've got more than enough spells in my DnD, ADnD & WFRP books.
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Blood Axe »

Crimsontree wrote:I wouldn't be interested. I've got more than enough spells in my DnD, ADnD & WFRP books.
So do I but not converted to DCCRPG. I dont mean this in a nasty way.

I have plenty of Gods in my Deitys & Demigods books & others, but still supported a Patrons book.

Not for everyone. I just thought I'd see if there is interest.

I am not interested in doing this project myself. I just was curious to see what people want.
Last edited by Blood Axe on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meinvt
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by meinvt »

I'd be more interested in a book that develops stories around the spells. So, some might be just "random dweomers you find", but others might be the goal of a quest - with the quest included in the book. Or perhaps obtainable only in a deal with a demon - and guidance to the DM of how to set up the encounter and quests to provide it.

As I think about it, perhaps it would best be a book of potions, spells and magical items. So, there really could be something for everyone and each element had a story to go with it.
SavageRobby
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by SavageRobby »

I would definitely support a book with additional spells, DCC-style. And that means not strict converts from AD&D, d20, etc, but rather spells in the DCC vein - mystical, random, weird and kinda dangerous to cast.
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Blood Axe »

SavageRobby wrote:I would definitely support a book with additional spells, DCC-style. And that means not strict converts from AD&D, d20, etc, but rather spells in the DCC vein - mystical, random, weird and kinda dangerous to cast.
Like the ones in the book now? Real originals like Magic Missile, Mirror Image, Scare, Strength, Featherfall..... :wink:
I like some of the spells in the Warhammer RPG, but I dont want to get sued.
ragboy
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by ragboy »

meinvt wrote:I'd be more interested in a book that develops stories around the spells. So, some might be just "random dweomers you find", but others might be the goal of a quest - with the quest included in the book. Or perhaps obtainable only in a deal with a demon - and guidance to the DM of how to set up the encounter and quests to provide it.

As I think about it, perhaps it would best be a book of potions, spells and magical items. So, there really could be something for everyone and each element had a story to go with it.
I would second this. DCC presents a very interesting ideal that I don't think is well covered in previous D&D-esque games and other FRPG's in general: Spells are not "gimmes." Your character receives some at the beginning, but after that, you have to work to find them.

Instead of making more work for the Judge, I'd say, build 2-3 spells, and include a short adventure or encounter where those spells appear. Given that the spells are about a page each, and a short adventure is ~6-7, you'd be looking at about 10 pages per. So, conceivably, you could get about 9 spells in a short book (32 pages) and double that or so in a larger book (~64 pages). 18 truly new spells with context? I'd buy that. 25-30 rehashes of previous XD&D edition spells? I'd probably pass.

What about an _actual_ spellbook -- meaning almost an "art" book with the spell writeup on one page and a "spellbook page" written by some wizard with notations, snatches of personal information, coffee-cup rings, etc. That might work...
AKA Paul Wolfe
The Mystic Bull: Check out our two FREE prehistoric adventures: The Steading of the Nergalites AND The Tribe of Ogg and the Gift of Suss
In the Prison of the Squid Sorcerer (PDF) and softcover: 12 Short Adventures for DCC!
The God-Seed Awakens: 3rd Level Adventure for DCC. New patron, new spells, lots of new monsters and the living weapons of the Empire of Thal!
My Gamer Profile
dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

I guess I need to restate this. I would love more spells. Even if they are classic Dnd spells redone for DCC, I wouldn't care. It just means more variability for our wizards and elfs.
Dark Cauliflower

cthulhudarren
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by cthulhudarren »

Personally I thought there were a lot of missing spells but when I looked, there really weren't.
TheNobleDrake
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by TheNobleDrake »

cthulhudarren wrote:Personally I thought there were a lot of missing spells but when I looked, there really weren't.
I had the same feeling before I had read all of the spells and saw just exactly what was and wasn't present.

The most notably missing spell are also very boring, in my opinion - the attack spells that deal acid or sonic damage.

...and the "death' spells like slay living, but woopidy do about that - already enough ways for a cleric to kill a man.
dark cauliflower
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

the spells seem like their conglomerations of dnd spells sometimes. Each spell check range moves you into a different spell within the spell. I have to go over em again, probably a misperception.
Dark Cauliflower

Zargon
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Zargon »

ragboy wrote:
meinvt wrote:I'd be more interested in a book that develops stories around the spells. So, some might be just "random dweomers you find", but others might be the goal of a quest - with the quest included in the book. Or perhaps obtainable only in a deal with a demon - and guidance to the DM of how to set up the encounter and quests to provide it.

I would second this. DCC presents a very interesting ideal that I don't think is well covered in previous D&D-esque games and other FRPG's in general: Spells are not "gimmes." Your character receives some at the beginning, but after that, you have to work to find them.

Instead of making more work for the Judge, I'd say, build 2-3 spells, and include a short adventure or encounter where those spells appear. Given that the spells are about a page each, and a short adventure is ~6-7, you'd be looking at about 10 pages per. So, conceivably, you could get about 9 spells in a short book (32 pages) and double that or so in a larger book (~64 pages). 18 truly new spells with context? I'd buy that. 25-30 rehashes of previous XD&D edition spells? I'd probably pass.

What about an _actual_ spellbook -- meaning almost an "art" book with the spell writeup on one page and a "spellbook page" written by some wizard with notations, snatches of personal information, coffee-cup rings, etc. That might work...
You've piqued my interest on this. I'd be interested in such an idea, and perhaps, contributing to its realization.
Fables of the Borderlands - #1 DCC campaign on Obsidian Portal!
beermotor
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by beermotor »

Zargon wrote:
ragboy wrote:

You've piqued my interest on this. I'd be interested in such an idea, and perhaps, contributing to its realization.
Having heard that said, I think I'd support splitting the core book into one chunk of basic rules, and one spell book. You could even dump most/all of the monsters, just have a one page "See <modules> for ideas, or your imagination, RECG, Appendix N, etc."

Thinner books is one thing that AD&D has over on DCC. Sorry. Easier to flip through. My group meets like every other week at most, so I always have to help look up spells for players, it kind of sucks.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

beermotor wrote:...so I always have to help look up spells for players, it kind of sucks.
I think alphabetical spell listings would've been one modern innovation DCC RPG could have kept. :)
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Blood Axe »

Hmmmmm....a Spellbook would be a good idea. The spells and an illustration for each. Maybe more about Spell duels. Made to look like a real spellbook. Any one remember Steve Jacksons - The Sorcery Spellbook ? A spell and a picture. This book was very very simple though.

Return to “Magic and Spells”