Find Familiar

Discussion of all things magical for DCC RPG -- "Let the Phlogiston take you where it will..."

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

mindshadow2k
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Find Familiar

Post by mindshadow2k »

Sorry if this has been posted somewhere I didn't see it immediately, but any tips on how to stat out Familiars, or would you even bother doing so?

Like Guardian Familiars are said to protect their masters and so I would assume that might mean that they would potentially attack if the wizard were in dire need.

Where might be a good point of reference for stats for some of the Familiars on the tables for even like common creatures (Owl, Cat, Hawk, Giant Centipede, etc)?
Colin

Re: Find Familiar

Post by Colin »

As the rules state on pages 316-319, "All familiars have these traits..." Basically, you know the AC, HPs, Attacks, and Saves of all familiars already as they're set by the type of familiar (Guardian, demonic, etc.) regardless of its Physical Configuration. That only leaves the Initiative modifier and the Speed rates undetermined.

For Initiative I'd give them +2 (+4 for Guardian familiars) as the text mentions them being small *and agile*.

For Speed, I'd give them the following standard rates (though which ones they can utilize will be a factor of their Physical Configuration):
Walking: 30'
Climbing: 20'
Swimming: 30'
Fly: 40'
In terms of speed though, it might be better if we produce a list of speeds and modes of movement for each familiar.
Karaptis
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Karaptis »

Crawl has an excellent article on Familiars this month. I highly recommend it.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Karaptis wrote:Crawl has an excellent article on Familiars this month. I highly recommend it.
Thank you for the kind words. :)

Colin
mindshadow2k
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by mindshadow2k »

Karaptis wrote:Crawl has an excellent article on Familiars this month. I highly recommend it.
Oh trust me I am a huge fan of Crawl! And the familiar article is fantastic (fyi I think there is a type-o in the Lawful table roll 17 lists 2 familiars one of which is the 17 roll for neutral :) ).

I hope that Colin submits more stuff, hell I love all the stuff people have submitted and really can't wait to use them in game!
Colin

Post by Colin »

mindshadow2k wrote:
Oh trust me I am a huge fan of Crawl! And the familiar article is fantastic (fyi I think there is a type-o in the Lawful table roll 17 lists 2 familiars one of which is the 17 roll for neutral :) ).
Sounds like things got mucked up a little in the transition from my Word document to Crawl! Haven't got my copy yet, but in the Word document the table is fine.
mindshadow2k wrote:I hope that Colin submits more stuff, hell I love all the stuff people have submitted and really can't wait to use them in game!
Believe me, there's a lot more yet to come. :) Apart from the Familiar article (and the new equipment lists and weapons in the previous issue), I've got ten more articles already submitted and two more underway, and some of them are much, much bigger.

Colin

Return to “Magic and Spells”